Eligibility requirements for the Outbound Exchange Program include:

  • Current enrolment in a full JCU undergraduate degree program
  • A minimum GPA of 4.5
  • Successful completion of at least one year of full-time study (24 credit points at JCU) by the time you depart for your exchange
  • Approval from your College

Also required:

  • Study at one of JCU's exchange partner universities
  • A current passport valid for at least six months after your return
  • Confirmation that it is academically possible for you to complete a semester abroad
  • Confirmation that the subjects you are interested in are offered during the semester you intend to spend overseas
  • You must undertake full-time study while abroad

Credit for outbound exchange

The grades you receive overseas will not be transferred to JCU.

You will be credited with the appropriate credit points for the approved subjects that you pass on exchange.

International students

International students who are studying at JCU in Australia are welcome to take part in the Outbound Exchange Program, but cannot complete their exchange semester in their home country.

You must meet Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requirements for international students going on exchange. It is your responsibility to comply with the immigration process on your departure and return to Australia.

You must report to DIAC before leaving Australia for your exchange program. JCU Global Experience will provide you with a letter to present to DIAC explaining your exchange program.

Part-time students

Part-time students can take part in exchange but must undertake full-time study while abroad.

External students

Students studying externally are eligible for participation in Outbound Exchange.

When to go

Decide when you think a semester or two abroad would fit into your degree structure and personal plans.

For most students the best time to go on exchange is during your second year.

Finish your degree overseas

You can complete your degree overseas if you have approval from your College and are not seeking financial assistance.

You cannot complete your degree overseas if you are going to take out the OS-HELP loan. You must have at least one subject (3 credit points) to complete at JCU when you return from overseas to access the loan.

Study plan

While studying abroad you must take approved subjects that will be credited to your JCU degree. To be granted credit towards subjects that you would have studied at JCU, you must complete equivalent subjects at the host university.

It is very important that you discuss your proposed overseas exchange with your College subject adviser to find out if they support your decision as they must approve your subject selection in the end. If you are planning to undertake subjects covering two Colleges, you need to have approval from both.

Some things to discuss with them are:

  • Find out if you can study 'elective' and/or 'core' subjects while on exchange
  • Which would be the best semester for you to study overseas?
  • Make sure you will receive credits for the subjects studies overseas
  • Are there any specific subjects they can recommend you study while overseas?
  • Will you have the required prerequisites for certain subjects you might want to undertake upon your return to JCU?

Complete and submit the Credit Transfer Form (PDF, 267 KB) (Languages Credit Transfer From (PDF, 287 KB)) to Global Experience.

Exchange in the United States

To complete a semester in the United States of America (USA), you are required to show evidence that you have access to between A$12,000-15,000 (per semester of overseas exchange) at the time of application.

This is a requirement of all institutions in the USA and you will not be issued with your visa documentation without this guarantee.

You are also required to have a face-to-face interview at a US consulate to apply for visa. Consulates are located in Sydney and Melbourne.