Financial assistance

Many countries and embassies offer scholarships to students.

Country specific

The JCU Global Experience Office has some scholarship and/or financial assistance opportunities for students wishing to study overseas. Contact us for more specific details.

NCP scholarships

The New Colombo Plan (NCP) is an Australian Government initiative that offers Australian undergraduates who are Australian citizens new opportunities for prestigious scholarships and grants for study and internships/mentorships in the Indo-Pacific.


JCU distributes the awards on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Education. New Colombo Plans mobility grants are available to selected JCU students studying at a partner institution in a country for which JCU has been awarded funding.

Recipients must be Australian citizens and must be studying at undergraduate level. If eligible, you are automatically considered for an award if you apply to a partner institution in one of the countries listed below.

  • New Colombo Plan $7000 AUD -  study in Japan

Johannes Kepler University, Liz Austria

  • 600 Euro per month stipend plus subsidy for airfare

Northern Arizona University

  • 3800 USD scholarship for SP2 2020
  • 7600 USD for full year SP2 2020 and SP1 2021


Overseas Higher Education Loan Program (OS-HELP) is a federal government loan scheme to assist eligible undergraduate students to undertake some of their course of study overseas. Please note that this is a loan and any fees will be added to your HELP debt. 

For 2018, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is:

  • $6,791 (if you will not be studying in Asia); or
  • $8,295 if you will be studying in Asia; and
  • an additional $1,104 if you will be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for study in Asia - not available to students who are studying BA (languages) on exchange.


If you are currently receiving financial assistance from Centrelink, you may be eligible to continue receiving Centrelink payments whilst participating in the Exchange Program. The Global Experience Office will provide a letter on request, that you will take to a Centrelink office to ensure continued payments.

Please talk to the Global Experience Office for more information about any of the above.