You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
APR Internship for PhD Candidates
APR]ntern -Australian Postgraduate Research Internships
APR.Intern is the only national all sector – all discipline internship program placing PhD students into industry.
A not-for-profit program, APR.Intern is open to women and men with an emphasis on gender equity, domestic, regional and disadvantaged PhD students into STEM internships.
APR.Intern provides PhD students with the opportunity to apply their research expertise to a short-term 3-5 month project, whilst gaining invaluable experience in an industry setting.
The program’s industry partners include ANZ, Telstra, Defence Science and Technology Group, Office of the Chief Scientist and more. Read about the impact APR.Intern PhDs have made when matched with industry here.
Details about the program can be found on the APR.Intern webpage.
- The scheme will be open to currently enrolled full and part-time domestic and international PhD Candidates who have passed their Confirmation of Candidature and are able to demonstrate that participation in the internship will not adversely impact on their scheduled thesis submission date. Internships for international PhD Candidates will not qualify for the 50% government rebate.
- Eligible industries will span the entire innovation sector including not-for-profits, government departments, publicly funded research agencies (PFRAs), small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and big business. Overseas industry partners will be eligible as long as appropriate academic mentorship can be arranged. Overseas industry partners will not be able to claim the 50% government rebate.
- Each 5-month internship is valued at $26k, of which $3k per month are a stipend for the intern; $5.5k go to the Academic Mentor for their support and supervision and $5.5k go towards the administrative costs of the program. Program costs will be covered by the industry partner. Eligible industry partners will receive a 50% rebate from the Australian Government, bringing the overall project costs to $13k for a 5-month internship.
Contact at JCU
Mr Michael Koczyrkewycz from the GRS will provide student and industry support for the APR.Intern program at JCU, as well as align contract administration and candidate management with HDR supervisory and college requirements. Michael can be contacted by email (GRS@jcu.edu.au or email@example.com) or on 0412 860 824.
How do I become an intern?
(1) Applying for an advertised internship position
(2) Submitting an application with a specific industry partner
If you already know who you want to do your internship with and you have discussed this opportunity with your industry partner, you can submit a general application. Please fill out an EOI here and Michael will get in touch.
Internship Subject and Candidature Management
APR Interns are required to be enrolled in Internship Subject RD7004 for the duration of the internship. Please read the RD7004 HDR Internship Subject Outline for more information.
Success stories of former TropINTERN candidates
Do you want to know what different types of Internships the program has funded? What was the interns' experience? Read some of our success stories below.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture