Make an enquiry

The first step to applying to undertake a higher degree by research at JCU is to make a formal enquiry by lodging an Expression of Interest. 

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

  • Identify potential advisors of your research project who are members of the JCU academic staff who currently conduct research in your area of research interest.  Potential advisors can be found by visiting the JCU Research Portfolio website.  Alternatively, you can also contact the relevant School in which your area of research interest lies (visit

  • If you are planning to study at the JCU Singapore campus, please contact the Research Manager, Ms Hafsah Begum, regarding potential advisors of your research higher degree.  You should then apply to undertake a research higher degree via the standard application process.

  • If you have already been in contact with potential advisor(s) through previous study, you can progress to Step 4.

Step 4

  • Complete the rest of your Expression of Interest for a Higher Degree by Research form and forward it to your potential research advisor(s).  You are not required to submit the Expression of Interest to the Graduate Research School.

Step 5

  • Once you receive a response from your potential advisor(s) you will need to act on that information.

  • If you do not receive a response within four (4) weeks after submission of your Expression of Interest, it is recommended that you contact the School in which your potential advisor(s) work.

  • If your potential advisor(s) has indicated that they are interested in supervising your research degree, you should then commence the candidature Application Process.