You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
Guidelines for Placing a HDR Candidate Under Review
The following guidelines apply to an Advisor(s) who wishes to place their JCU HDR candidate Under Review.
2. Provide a statement of reasons for recommending that a candidate be placed Under Review. Your statement must address the following:
The reason(s) why the recommendation is being made, e.g. the candidate has failed to complete their required work over a six month period and has missed three of the last five scheduled Advisory Panel meetings.
What actions you have undertaken prior to this point to attempt to address the issues or reasons for the recommendation. Have you asked the candidate if there are reasons for their lack of progress that they are aware of? Have you attempted to communicate with the candidate by email and phone without success?
What indications you have given the candidate that their progress is not satisfactory or as expected, and if you have given the candidate an indication that you will be recommending that they be placed Under Review.
Evidence pertaining to the above such as copies of email communications and meeting notes. It is essential that you advise the candidate of your concerns and suggestions to address these concerns in writing as well as in meetings over a period of at least several weeks before you recommend to your College that the candidate be placed Under Review, unless such a recommendation is made in the context of a formal Progress Report.
The recommended period of Review for the candidate. The maximum initial duration is six months.
You must be aware that the information provided in your statement will be used in the formal notification to be provided to the candidate prior to them being placed Under Review.
3. Ensure the candidate will be available during the Under Review period, during which they will be required to develop and finalise a Candidature Management Plan. The candidate will be reasonably available or have made suitable alternative arrangements during the Under Review period.