Advisor of the Year Awards Procedure
The Advisor of the Year Awards aim to encourage and reward staff who excel in their role as a Higher Degree by Research Advisor.
This procedure applies to research staff who supervise higher degree by research candidates.
Research Supervision includes the range of support activities involved in assisting Research Higher Degree candidates to undertake successful original research and to complete a thesis, dissertation or other research products.
- Each year current and recently completed higher degree by research candidates will be asked that if they wish to nominate their Advisors for Primary Advisor of the Year or Advisory Panel of the year to do so via the Advisor of the Year Award Nomination Form.
- Prior to the list of nominees being presented to the Selection Committee for consideration, the Graduate Research School will send the list of nominees to the Chief of Staff for any advice that may be appropriate.
- In addition, each year the Dean, Graduate Research will write to ADREs/College Deans/Divisional DVCs to ask if they wish to nominate a staff member for an Advisory Award selected from a range specified by the Selection Committee.
- On request, the Graduate Research School will provide data on Advisors to supplement applications supported by the ADREs/College Deans/Divisional DVCs.
- The Selection Committee, which is the Research Education Sub Committee Executive will provide an endorsement of the award recipients to the Provost who will present successful nominees with their awards and report their names to the University Council.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right not to grant any or all of the awards.
- The number and category of awards will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee in consultation with the Provost.
- Recipients may elect to receive the award personally, or have the funds directed to a University account, or any combination of the above. Where money is taken personally, taxation is payable on the amount and will be deducted by the University before payment.
- Previous recipients of any of these awards will be ineligible for these awards for the following two rounds of the award.
- The minimum amount of research for supervision to be included must be at least 12 credit points
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
|Procedure Owner:||Dean, graduate Research|
Date for Next Review:
Approval date - the date the Policy Sponsor approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the procedure was published in the Policy Library and is the date the procedure takes effect
|19-1||23/7/19||23/7/19||Changed to reflect current practices.||GRS|
|18-1||4/6/2018||4/6/2018||List of nominees sent to Chief of Staff prior to being considered by selection committee.||GRS|
Reviewed, updated to reflect current practices and JCU structure and re-cast as a procedure to sit on Research website.
Manager, Graduate Research Operations
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework.
Quality, Standards and Policy Office
30 July 2013
30 July 2013
Amendments made with respect to requiring a nominee as a Primary Advisor to be registered at Level 1 or 2 on the JCU Register of Advisors and in the criteria for selection of awardees.
Endorsed by Research Committee