You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
Advisor of the Year Awards Procedure
The Advisor of the Year Awards aim to encourage and reward staff who excel in their role as a Higher Degree by Research Advisor.
This procedure applies to research staff who supervise higher degree by research candidates.
Research Supervision includes the range of support activities involved in assisting Research Higher Degree candidates to undertake successful original research and to complete a thesis, dissertation or other research products.
- Each year current and recently completed higher degree by research candidates will be asked that if they wish to nominate their Advisors for Primary Advisor of the Year or Advisory Panel of the year to do so via the Advisor of the Year Award Nomination Form.
- Prior to the list of nominees being presented to the Selection Committee for consideration, the Graduate Research School will send the list of nominees to the Chief of Staff for any advice that may be appropriate.
- In addition, each year the Dean, Graduate Research will write to ADREs/College Deans/Divisional DVCs to ask if they wish to nominate a staff member for an Advisory Award selected from a range specified by the Selection Committee.
- On request, the Graduate Research School will provide data on Advisors to supplement applications supported by the ADREs/College Deans/Divisional DVCs.
- The Selection Committee, which is the Research Education Sub Committee Executive will provide an endorsement of the award recipients to the Provost who will present successful nominees with their awards and report their names to the University Council.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right not to grant any or all of the awards.
- The number and category of awards will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee in consultation with the Provost.
- Recipients may elect to receive the award personally, or have the funds directed to a University account, or any combination of the above. Where money is taken personally, taxation is payable on the amount and will be deducted by the University before payment.
- Previous recipients of any of these awards will be ineligible for these awards for the following two rounds of the award.
- The minimum amount of research for supervision to be included must be at least 12 credit points
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
|Procedure Owner:||Dean, graduate Research|
Date for Next Review:
Approval date - the date the Policy Sponsor approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the procedure was published in the Policy Library and is the date the procedure takes effect
|19-1||23/7/19||23/7/19||Changed to reflect current practices.||GRS|
|18-1||4/6/2018||4/6/2018||List of nominees sent to Chief of Staff prior to being considered by selection committee.||GRS|
Reviewed, updated to reflect current practices and JCU structure and re-cast as a procedure to sit on Research website.
Manager, Graduate Research Operations
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework.
Quality, Standards and Policy Office
30 July 2013
30 July 2013
Amendments made with respect to requiring a nominee as a Primary Advisor to be registered at Level 1 or 2 on the JCU Register of Advisors and in the criteria for selection of awardees.
Endorsed by Research Committee
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture