You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
HDR Conferral Procedure
To provide procedural detail to enable the University to bestow a HDR Award of the University to a HDR candidate after successful completion of a course that has not yet been conferred.
This procedure applies to any person admitted to a HDR course who has passed the requirements of their course but the award has not been conferred. Candidates who have met the requirements of the HDR Award must have complied with other all conditions, including the payment of outstanding debts to be eligible to have the award conferred.
1.1 An Award Memo is sent to the GRS from the Dean of College confirming that the candidate has met the requirements of the HDR Award.
1.2 The Dean, Graduate Research will check that the corrections to the thesis have been made by perusing the summary table of corrections and if satisfied write to the candidate informing them that a recommendation that they be awarded the degree will be submitted.
1.3 Course and thesis subject moved to Passed in the Student Management System.
1.4 Masters by Research Candidates only:
1.4.1 JCU Graduations will allocate Masters by Research candidate to a ceremony based on course/study plan, location and College. JCU Graduations will provide instructions to candidate.
1.5 PhD Candidates only:
1.5.1 Candidate is placed on the list for the next Academic Board. This must occur prior to having the Award conferred by University Council. The Graduate Research School will provide this information to JCU Graduations 2 weeks prior to the meeting date.
1.5.2 JCU Graduations will allocate PhD candidate to a ceremony, based on course/study plan, location and College and will provide instructions to candidate.
1.6 Masters by Research and PhD Candidates will be placed on the list to have their Award conferred by the University Council (meeting schedule is available on the JCU Governance webpage).
1.7 Graduates are entitled to use the official Award Title once the Award has been conferred by the University Council.
1.8 A Medal shall be awarded to a HDR candidate whose research doctoral thesis was examined in that calendar year and has been judged by the Board of Higher Degrees by Research Committee to be passed ‘cum laude’ on the basis of the independent recommendations of two external examiners and their written justification of this recommendation.
1.9 Recipients of the Medal for Excellence for a Doctoral Research Thesis shall have the option of:
(a) being presented with the Medal at their graduation ceremony; or
(b) having the Medal sent directly to them.
1.10 A posthumous Award will be conferred in accordance with the Posthumous Award Procedure.
1.11 The Graduation Ceremony will be conducted in accordance with the Graduation Ceremony Procedure.
1.12 Official certification documentation will be issued in accordance with the Coursework Award Finalisation, Conferral and Issuance Procedure.
1.13 A graduate may elect to receive a testamur and Australian Higher Education Graduate Statement (AHEGS) in one or more of the following ways;
(a) Access to Digitised Copy; and
(b) Original testamur made available immediately; or
(c) Original testamur made available at a Graduation Ceremony.
1.14 Award titles are the representation of the qualification type, level, field of study/discipline and program of the qualification consistent with the Australian Qualifications Framework and requirements of the AQF Qualifications Issuance Policy. Refer to Awards Titling Guide.
1.15 The University Secretary/Marshall or Ceremonies Coordinator may prevent a graduate from being able to participate in a Graduation Ceremony if reasonable grounds of a risk or threat have been identified.
1.16 Certification Documentation will be reissued in exceptional circumstances in accordance with the Coursework Award Finalisation, Conferral and Issuance Procedure.
1.17 The conferral of an Award is considered public information. The University may publish or provide confirmation in relation to a graduate’s name, Award/s conferred and their conferral date/s in accordance with the HDR candidate’s acceptance of their student contract.
1.18 The University Council may withdraw or revoke an Award that has been conferred, in accordance with the Coursework Award Finalisation, Conferral and Issuance Procedure.
1.19 Certification Documentation must be returned if the Award has been revoked by University Council or otherwise is required to be surrendered in accordance with the Coursework Award Finalisation, Conferral and Issuance Procedure.
Related policy instruments
Coursework Award Finalisation, Conferral and Issuance Procedure
Related documents and legislation
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next Major Review (in accordance with the Policy Handbook)
Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect
Supervisor, Academic Services GRS
Supervisor, Academic Services GRS
Graduand, Graduation, Graduate, Confer, Conferral, Award, Ceremony, In Absentia, medal, posthumous
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture