HDR Progress Report Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
This Procedure elaborates the Progress Report Procedure section of the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- To check whether progress on the candidate’s thesis is proceeding according to plan;
- To identify and address as far as possible any impediments to progress;
- To comply with the external regulatory reporting requirements for international HDR candidates.
This Procedure applies to candidates for the research higher degrees offered by the University.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Glossary of Terms for Policies in the Student and Teaching and Course Management chapters of the University Policy Library and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
1.1 A report on the candidate’s progress must be submitted to the Graduate Research School on the HDR Progress Report Form every six months except if one of the milestones (Confirmation of Candidature, Mid-Candidature Review or Pre-Completion Evaluation) has been completed successfully in the previous six months, or the thesis has been submitted for examination.
1.2 The Graduate Research School will advise the candidate and their Advisory Panel of the due date for submitting the upcoming Progress Report at least twenty (20) working days before it is due to be submitted to the Graduate Research School.
1.3 The HDR Progress Report Form should be completed by the candidate followed by the members of their Advisory Panel, all of whom are asked to be frank in their report to facilitate the identification and timely resolution of any problems.
1.4 The candidate must have read the Explanatory Statement if there is one, and any Advisor comments before signing the report.
1.5 The completed HDR Progress Report Form must be forwarded to the Graduate Research School with all the required signatures including that of the candidate. The Graduate Research School will communicate the approved course of action of the Dean, Graduate Research to the candidate, Advisory Panel and Dean of College.
1.6 A Candidate who wishes to appeal the outcome of their Progress Report should appeal in writing to the College Dean, prior to HDR Progress Report Form being provided to the Graduate Research School. The College Dean may support or rescind the recommendation for the Progress Report.
1.6 Where a candidate fails to submit a required HDR Progress Report Form, the outcome for that report will normally be recorded as ‘Review of Progress Required’, unless an alternative outcome is approved in writing by the Dean, Graduate Research.
1.7 A candidate who fails to submit two successive reports or who receives two successive ‘Review of Progress Required’ outcomes will be subject to the HDR Under Review Procedure.
1.8 The Dean, Graduate Research or the Research Education Sub-Committee may at any time require a candidate to submit a progress report, provide material and undertake activities in order to evaluate their progress.
1.9 The candidate and Advisory Panel may submit an additional confidential report at this time or at any time to provide additional confidential information in relation to the candidate and their progress.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
2 June 2016
20 June 2016