HDR Progress Support Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- Industry Engagement
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
To support and manage the progress of a Higher Degree by Research Candidate whose current performance is of concern with a view to rectifying the problem in a manner that is constructive and transparent.
Under Review normally follows a period of Progress Support where progress concerns are not resolved.
This Procedure addresses the Unsatisfactory Progress section of the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
This Procedure applies to candidates for the research higher degrees offered by the University and to staff involved in supervision, administration and management of HDR candidates.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- Progress Support requires the advisory panel to work with the candidate to determine a course of action, with specific conditions or outcomes to be achieved over a period of up to three months.
- One additional periods of Progress Support may be undertaken during the candidature
- Progress Support is documented by the ADRE via the Progress Support Form which is in three parts: Activation, Progress Management Plan, and Review.
- Progress Support requests may be initiated by an ADRE, a member of the advisory panel, a candidate , or the GRS at any time after enrolment and prior to conferral.
- The Progress Support Decision Tree should be consulted to determine whether this Procedure or the Under Review Procedure should be activated.
- Progress Support may be activated for reasons including, but not limited to:
- challenges affecting progress are identified by a candidate or their advisors
- a milestone is overdue without an approved extension for the first time in the candidature
- a progress report records an outcome of ‘Progress Requires Review’ for the first time in the candidature
- an outcome of ‘conceded pass’ is recorded
- a candidate regularly fails to attend scheduled meetings or adequately attend to research requirements of their advisory panel over a period up to 3 months
- The Advisory Panel, the Candidate and others as relevant must meet to discuss the reasons for the activation of Progress Support as well as the strategies for overcoming concerns for all parties involved.
- A Progress Management Plan must be developed and agreed by the Candidate and the Advisory Panel within fifteen (15) University working days of activation of Progress Support. The plan should be documented in the Progress Management Plan section of the Progress Support Form.
- Failure to develop an approved Progress Management Plan within the stipulated time may result in the candidate being placed Under Review.
- At the end of each period of Progress Support, the advisory panel and the candidate must meet to assess the Candidate’s progress in relation to the agreed conditions and record their assessment of the Candidate’s progress in the Review section of the Progress Support Form.
- The ADRE (or nominee) must make one of the following determinations:
- that the Candidate has met the conditions in their Progress Management Plan and the candidature be continued
- that the Candidate has partially met the conditions in their Progress Management Plan and the candidate either undertakes a further period of Progress Support or is placed Under Review
- that the Candidate has failed to meet the conditions in their Progress Management Plan and that the candidature be placed Under Review in accordance with the HDR Under Review Procedure.
- On completion of the process, the Progress Support form should be forwarded to the Graduate Research School for noting.
- A Candidate who has been placed on Progress Support will remain enrolled and is subject to all conditions and policies applicable to an enrolled student, including continued receipt of any stipend of fee-offset scholarships that have been awarded, and liability for all tuition and other fees required by the University.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review: