HDR Readmission Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- JCU Events
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- Industry Engagement
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
To describe the procedure to be followed when a candidate who: (1) was previously enrolled in a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at JCU; and (2) is eligible for readmission, wishes to apply for readmission to the degree in which they were previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic.
This Procedure applies to former JCU HDR candidates who:
- Withdrew from their enrolment in a research degree after successfully completing their Confirmation of Candidature; or
- Had their candidature discontinued at least one year prior to their application for readmission; or
- Wish to apply for readmission to the degree in which they were previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic.
Former HDR candidates whose candidature was not confirmed or who wish to enrol in a new degree or in their former degree with a different thesis topic must submit a new application for HDR candidature in accordance with the HDR Application and Enrolment Procedures [1,2] as specified in the HDR Requirements .
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Glossary of Terms for Policies in the Student and Teaching and Course Management chapters of the University Policy Library  and in the HDR Requirements .
Timing of the Procedure
A former JCU HDR candidate whose candidature was confirmed and who withdrew from their enrolment may apply for readmission to the degree in which they were previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic at any time within five years from their withdrawal date.
A former JCU HDR candidate whose candidature was confirmed but was subsequently discontinued may apply for readmission to the degree in which they were previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic at least one year and not more than five years from the date on which their enrolment was discontinued.
Process for Undertaking the Procedure
1. The former JCU HDR candidate must approach their proposed Advisory Panel via the proposed Primary Advisor to seek their in-principle written approval for readmission to the research degree in which the candidate was previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic.
2. If approval is granted in principle, the former JCU HDR candidate must approach the Head of the Enrolling Organisational Unit (or nominee) with which the proposed Primary Advisor is affiliated to seek their in-principle written approval for readmission to the degree in which the candidate was previously enrolled with the same or similar thesis topic.
3. If either of the above mentioned in-principle approvals is not granted, the former JCU HDR candidate may approach the Dean, Graduate Research Studies for advice as to the appropriate steps to be taken, or let the matter lapse.
4. If the above mentioned in-principle approvals are granted, the former JCU HDR candidate should discuss preparation for the evaluation outlined in Clause 5 below and contact the Head of the proposed Enrolling Organisational Unit (or nominee). The Head of the proposed Enrolling Organisational Unit (or nominee) must appoint an interim Candidature Committee to evaluate the status of the former candidature as outlined in Clause 5 below.
5. The interim Candidature Committee must:
- Review the status of the current drafts of materials that the candidate has prepared for inclusion in the thesis with particular attention to their currency and scope;
- Evaluate an oral presentation by the candidate on their research findings. The oral presentation must be delivered in person or by video-conference and viewed by all members of the interim Candidature Committee. Other persons should be encouraged to attend unless such an arrangement is precluded by a confidentiality agreement with industry partner(s). The oral presentation should be no longer than 30 minutes and include question and answer time, and should provide a synthesis of the research findings (if applicable).
- Review the candidate’s draft Candidature Management Plan;
- Check that the candidate has completed a Professional Development Audit and Plan  (found in COC-FORM-02) and that the document is appropriate for the candidate’s degree requirements and career aspirations;
- Ensure that the resources required for the successful completion of the thesis are available; and
- Ensure that the checks required at this stage of the candidature process have been conducted and that the candidate has met all associated requirements by completing a Milestone Report appropriate to the stage of candidature (i.e. Mid-Candidature Review Milestone  or Pre-Completion Evaluation Milestone );
Evaluation of the Procedure
The Candidature Committee must collectively finalise their written evaluation of each of the items submitted by the candidate listed in Clause 5 and any associated recommendations. The Candidature Committee should frame their feedback on the research using the proformas associated with the appropriate stage of candidature (Mid-Candidature Review Milestone  or Pre-completion Milestone ) and include additional material as appropriate.
Feedback and any recommendations to the former HDR candidate must be discussed with the former HDR candidate (in person or by telecommunication) by the Chair of the Interim Candidature Committee.
Outcome of Procedure
The Interim Candidature Committee must recommend one of the following to the Dean, Graduate Research Studies through its Chair:
- That the outcome of the application for readmission is satisfactory and the candidate be readmitted to the degree;
- That the outcome of the application for readmission is satisfactory and the candidate be readmitted to the degree and placed Under Review for a specified period; or
- That the outcome of the application for readmission is unsatisfactory and that the candidate not be readmitted to the degree.
Copies of the written feedback to the candidate, including the Mid-Candidature Review Milestone or Pre-Completion Evaluation Milestone form and the Candidature Management Plan should be lodged with the Graduate Research School.
The Graduate Research School will then invite the former JCU HDR candidate to formally apply for candidature in accordance with the HDR application and enrolment procedures [1,2].