HDR Recognition of Prior Learning Procedure
This procedure elaborates the HDR Requirements and specifies the circumstances under which an HDR applicant or candidate can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning
These requirements apply to applicants and candidates for the Higher Degree by Research Programs offered by the University.
Terms mentioned in this Procedure and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary of Terms for Policies in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library and in the HDR Requirements.
- Applicant’s transferring their Higher Degree by Research candidature from another Australian University will normally have the EFTSL consumed at the previous institution deducted from the total EFTSL allocated by JCU, with the attendant consequences for time allowed for completion of milestones, the degree and any scholarship allocation.
- Applicants or candidates for Higher Degree by Research Programs offered by the University may apply to the Graduate Research School for recognition of prior learning by writing to the Dean, Graduate Research, specifying what the recognition of prior learning is being sought for (e.g. compulsory module of Professional Development subject RD 7003) and providing the evidence, such as certificates or statements to support the request.
- Recognition of prior learning should be sought at least one month prior to the due date (for milestones) or the scheduled date (for modules).
- Applicants seeking recognition of prior learning should apply for such recognition as specified above and include this with their application documentation.
- Applicants transferring their Higher Degree by Research candidature to this University from another university to undertake the same higher degree by research with the same research project may apply for recognition of the Confirmation of Candidature Milestone (subjects RD/RM 7001 and RD/RM 7002 will be exempted) and the Mid-Candidature Review Milestone provided that they have completed the equivalent milestones at their former institution and can provide the appropriate evidence.
Graduate Research School
Research Education Sub-Committee
Date for next review:
2 years from date of approval