HDR Transfer of Enrolment Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- Industry Engagement
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
HDR Transfer of Enrolment Procedure
Intent and Scope
To specify the processes by which:
- A Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidate may transfer their enrolment to another HDR at the same or lower level;
- A HDR candidate may apply to transfer their candidature to another University; and
- A HDR candidate at another university may apply to transfer to JCU.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
A Transfer Applicant is a HDR candidate from another university who is an applicant for HDR candidature at JCU.
1: Transfer of enrolment within Higher Degrees by Research at the same or lower level at JCU
1.1 A HDR candidate who has met the entry requirements for an alternative degree at the same or lower level (e.g. Professional Doctorate to PhD; Doctorate to Research Masters) may apply to transfer to the alternative degree with some/all of the same advisory panel and no change to discipline or college, at any time with a Variation of Candidature Form (see the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure.)
1.2 If the transfer of enrolment includes a change of discipline/college and/or the entire advisory panel, the additional requirement of having to complete APP-FORM-01 Supplementary Form for HDR Applications which must ACCOMPANY the Variation of Candidature form for approval.
1.3 If the application is successful the candidate will be notified by the Graduate Research School, which will also advise of any conditions associated with the transfer.
1.4 Normally, the EFTSL consumed as part of the original degree enrolment will be deducted from the EFTSL required for the degree to which the candidate wishes to transfer.
1.5 Candidates transferring to another degree will be subject to the policies and procedures in place for that degree at the time of enrolment, as amended from time to time.
1.6 Candidates must address any outstanding matters with their advisory panel such as data access and storage, publication matters and intellectual property matters.
2: Transfer of a JCU HDR candidature to another university
2.1 JCU will not normally agree to the transfer of enrolment of a candidate who has been enrolled for more than 2 EFTSL (Doctorate) or 1 EFTSL (Masters).
2.2 A HDR candidate who wishes to transfer their enrolment to another university must withdraw from their candidature in accordance with the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure.
2.3 The candidate may request a statement from the Graduate Research School outlining the EFTSL consumed to date and any other relevant information regarding their candidature, such as their progress against milestones, to be supplied to the other enrolling university.
2.4 Candidates must address any outstanding matters with their advisory panel such as data access and storage, publication matters and intellectual property matters.
3: Transfer of HDR candidature from another university to JCU
3.1 A HDR candidate from another university who wishes to transfer their enrolment to JCU should submit an application for HDR candidature in accordance with the HDR Application Procedure. A statement from their current university which confirms EFTSL consumed to date, any milestones achieved such as Confirmation of Candidature, and any subjects undertaken as part of the HDR candidature must also be provided at the time of application to JCU.
3.2 Candidates transferring to JCU will be subject to the policies and procedures in place at the time of transferred enrolment, as amended from time to time.
3.3 As part of the application process, transfer applicants may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. Such recognition must be approved by the Dean, Graduate Research.
3.4 Transfer applicants are advised not to withdraw from their HDR candidature at their university of enrolment until they have formally accepted a place at JCU.
3.5 Candidates will have the EFTSL consumed at their previous institution deducted from the EFTSL allowed for completion of their degree at JCU.
3.6 HDR candidates who transfer to JCU must not commence any research work at JCU until any relevant ethics and other permits required by JCU or external agencies have been obtained.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
Revision to require College Dean approval when changing entire advisory panel, discipline and/or college.