You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
HDR Transfer of Enrolment Procedure
HDR Transfer of Enrolment Procedure
Intent and Scope
To specify the processes by which:
- A Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidate may transfer their enrolment to another HDR at the same or lower level;
- A HDR candidate may apply to transfer their candidature to another University; and
- A HDR candidate at another university may apply to transfer to JCU.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
A Transfer Applicant is a HDR candidate from another university who is an applicant for HDR candidature at JCU.
1: Transfer of enrolment within Higher Degrees by Research at the same or lower level at JCU
1.1 A HDR candidate who has met the entry requirements for an alternative degree at the same or lower level (e.g. Professional Doctorate to PhD; Doctorate to Research Masters) may apply to transfer to the alternative degree with some/all of the same advisory panel and no change to discipline or college, at any time with a Variation of Candidature Form (see the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure.)
1.2 If the transfer of enrolment includes a change of discipline/college and/or the entire advisory panel, the additional requirement of having to complete APP-FORM-01 Supplementary Form for HDR Applications which must ACCOMPANY the Variation of Candidature form for approval.
1.3 If the application is successful the candidate will be notified by the Graduate Research School, which will also advise of any conditions associated with the transfer.
1.4 Normally, the EFTSL consumed as part of the original degree enrolment will be deducted from the EFTSL required for the degree to which the candidate wishes to transfer.
1.5 Candidates transferring to another degree will be subject to the policies and procedures in place for that degree at the time of enrolment, as amended from time to time.
1.6 Candidates must address any outstanding matters with their advisory panel such as data access and storage, publication matters and intellectual property matters.
2: Transfer of a JCU HDR candidature to another university
2.1 JCU will not normally agree to the transfer of enrolment of a candidate who has been enrolled for more than 2 EFTSL (Doctorate) or 1 EFTSL (Masters).
2.2 A HDR candidate who wishes to transfer their enrolment to another university must withdraw from their candidature in accordance with the HDR Variation and Extension of Candidature Procedure.
2.3 The candidate may request a statement from the Graduate Research School outlining the EFTSL consumed to date and any other relevant information regarding their candidature, such as their progress against milestones, to be supplied to the other enrolling university.
2.4 Candidates must address any outstanding matters with their advisory panel such as data access and storage, publication matters and intellectual property matters.
3: Transfer of HDR candidature from another university to JCU
3.1 A HDR candidate from another university who wishes to transfer their enrolment to JCU should submit an application for HDR candidature in accordance with the HDR Application Procedure. A statement from their current university which confirms EFTSL consumed to date, any milestones achieved such as Confirmation of Candidature, and any subjects undertaken as part of the HDR candidature must also be provided at the time of application to JCU.
3.2 Candidates transferring to JCU will be subject to the policies and procedures in place at the time of transferred enrolment, as amended from time to time.
3.3 As part of the application process, transfer applicants may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. Such recognition must be approved by the Dean, Graduate Research.
3.4 Transfer applicants are advised not to withdraw from their HDR candidature at their university of enrolment until they have formally accepted a place at JCU.
3.5 Candidates will have the EFTSL consumed at their previous institution deducted from the EFTSL allowed for completion of their degree at JCU.
3.6 HDR candidates who transfer to JCU must not commence any research work at JCU until any relevant ethics and other permits required by JCU or external agencies have been obtained.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
Revision to require College Dean approval when changing entire advisory panel, discipline and/or college.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture