You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
Epigeum Avoiding Plagiarism Module
‘Epigeum’ Avoiding Plagiarism Module (online)
Epigeum modules provide flexible study areas that enable HDR candidates to engage in an interactive way.
This module provides foundational information on the important topic of plagiarism in academic work, with particular emphasis on ensuring that you avoid it. The module should be undertaken alongside the compulsory Plagiarism and 'SafeAssign' workshop that is part of the Professional Development Program.
The Avoiding Plagiarism module:
- Defines plagiarism and describes different types of plagiarism
- Recognises and describes key terms relating to plagiarism
- Explains the importance of referencing
- Shows you how to compile accurate citations and references
- Demonstrates how to correctly paraphrase and acknowledge others’ work
- Demonstrates how to make better use of referencing software to manage your citations and references
- Shows you how to develop strategies to avoid plagiarism in your own work
The module contains interviews with students, explains key terms and provides interactive activities and strategies to help you plan to avoid plagiarism pitfalls. It also contains online resources that will help extend your learning, including articles on real-life cases of plagiarism.
You must complete the embedded quizzes, so that your participation in this module can be counted towards your professional development requirements. The module takes about 3-4 hours to complete.