You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
Training Opportunities External to JCU
ACSPRI Resources and Courses
The non-profit Australian Consortium for Social and Political Research Incorporated, or ACSPRI, was formed in 1976 to enable Australian social science researchers to gain access to the archive of survey data held at the University of Michigan. ASCPRI now aims to serve its members through three main areas of activity:
- Learning, education and professional development;
- A national survey research centre (Academic Surveys Australia); and
- Data access and usage.
JCU is a member of ACSPRI and so is eligible for certain benefits and services. Further information is available on the ACSPRI Benefits of Membership webpage.
ASCPRI offers programs designed to cater for fundamental, changing and emerging research strategies, and to serve a wide variety of needs for training and professional development within the academic, public and private sectors. Its courses cater not only for researchers in the social and political sciences, but also in areas such as behavioural, health and medical sciences, policy research, education, economics, epidemiology, law, management, marketing, public relations and human resource management. Registration, course and travel costs are to be covered by the JCU researcher.
For information on ASCPRI courses see the website.
ESRI Virtual Campus GIS courses
ESRI has more than 100 online courses available via its website (the ESRI Virtual Campus). The ArcGIS software licence between ESRI and JCU will allow (almost) unlimited access to these courses.
ESRI’s ArcGIS is a geographic information system (GIS) that facilitates the: creation of maps; compilation of geographic (spatial) data; analysis of spatial information; and, the management of spatial information in a database. The ESRI Virtual Campus is a web-based platform for training in the science, application, and technology of GIS.
To find out more about the many training opportunities offered by ESRI, go to the website.
To access these courses you will need an access code, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
ANU online courses from the Australian National University
The Australian National University (ANU) gives students access to researchers who are among the best in their fields and to opportunities for development around Australia and the world. ANU Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) can be audited free or students can choose to receive a verified certificate for a small fee. Select a course from the website.
Note that JCU HDR candidates who wish to count participation in an ANU MOOC towards the Elective Component of RD7003 will have to receive a verified certificate, and therefore will need to pay the small fee specified by the ANU.
e-Grad School Australia
eGSA is a virtual graduate school operating from Australia for the global research community and is the only fully online provider of high quality training and professional development relevant to the needs of researchers and administrators in the public or private research sectors. eGSA is joint collaboration of the Australian Technology Network of Universities (Curtin, RMIT, QUT, UniSA and UTS), and is managed by Queensland University of Technology.
The e-Grad School programs are fully online courses designed to provide advanced skills training for professionals in the research sector (i.e. postgraduate students, active researchers, research managers, researcher administrators and academics everywhere).
A wide range of modules is available and all are accessible online with a maximum time commitment of five weeks. JCU participants may undertake moderated module where participants work together with a moderator who facilitates learning and communication within the group. Certificates of completion for moderated modules are awarded if the module requirements have been met.
To find out more about the many training opportunities offered by eGSA, visit the website.
QSR International NVivo Workshops
Qualitative research is all about exploring issues, understanding phenomena and answering questions. While there’s a whole industry engaged in its pursuit, qualitative research also happens in nearly every workplace and study environment, nearly every day.
Focus groups, in-depth interviews, content analysis, ethnography, evaluation and semiotics are among the many approaches that are used, but qualitative research in its most basic form involves the analysis of any unstructured data, including: open-ended survey responses, literature reviews, audio recordings, pictures and web pages.
There is no agreed ‘industry standard’ or prescribed process for approach a qualitative project but there are some recognised strategies and steps you can take. Qualitative research software like NVivo helps people to manage, shape and make sense of unstructured information. It doesn’t do the thinking for you; it provides a workspace and tools to enable you to easily work through your information.
Visit the QSR International website to view their ‘Introducing NVivo’ video.
For training opportunities, including online workshops, visit the QSR International Training and Events webpage.
Academic writing involves a range of complex processes:
- Finding items in the library or databases
- Researching and making notes
- Organising and planning
- Collaborating with other students and advisors
- Writing to academic standards
- Publishing work or presenting it for examination
The results of academic writing generally end up in the online databases that start the process.
ComWriter is a new writing platform designed to support academic writing. It is an online tool that can be accessed anywhere provided you have an internet connection and appropriate browser capabilities. ComWriter is easy for students to use and provides a structured approach to efficient and successful academic writing. It assists with presenting your writing in any academic style, making your work look professional and impressive. ComWriter even exports your work to PDF or Microsoft Word format. Users have access to a free account to trial ComWriter for their own needs.
ComWriter is currently in its Beta phase of development and will be upgraded over time with additional tools. Visit the ComWriter website to further explore its capabilities.
Peruse the ComWriter introduction and demonstration manual: Flipbook
Visit the ComWriter Support Desk for additional user guides and advice, including answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture