You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
PROGRESS TO DATE: MEETING: (18 July 2013)
The meeting was held in Townsville and led by Professor Robyn McGuiggan.
In attendance were:
JCU representatives: Mr Les Nicholson and Associate Professor Lee Stewart. Ms Belinda Pope also attended the meeting in an advisory capacity.
NTEU representatives: Mr Michael McNally and Dr Jan Wegner. Dr Sherryl Robertson attended in place of Mr Laurie Reilly.
Apologies were received from ETU representative Mr Wal Giordani and Together representative Mr Ken McKay.
Professor McGuiggan began the meeting by discussing the salary offer from JCU. Currently JCU has provided a 2.6% administrative increase, with an offer to increase this to 3% subject to productivity increases. Professor McGuiggan stated that JCU is continuing to carry out further financial reporting however indications were that it is unlikely an increase to the salary offer would be made. Once again Professor McGuiggan reiterated JCU’s intent to continue to bargain in good faith on other outstanding matters.
Items of note:
Discussion continued regarding the category of “Laboratory Supervision Academic”. Mr McNally provided draft wording regarding the contact hours. Professor McGuiggan presented feedback received from academic representatives across the university and consideration was given to these comments. It was noted that further feedback on this issue was yet to be received from key stakeholders and would be presented at the next meeting.
NTEU’s claim for Domestic Violence
JCU representatives agreed to work on a draft policy for presentation at the next meeting. This will finalise the NTEU’s claim on Domestic Violence.
A revised draft clause was tabled and discussed with agreement being reached in principle between all parties.
This item requires further consideration and a revised draft will be circulated for discussion prior to the next meeting.
Fixed Term Appointments
JCU representatives circulated an updated draft Clause for consideration based on discussion with union representatives at previous meetings. Further amendments are required however this clause nears agreement.
Individual Work Value Advancement/Blended Positions
Discussion continued on this matter and will be discussed in more detail once further consultation is carried out. This item will be listed for discussion at the next meeting.
Definitions on Casual Lecturing
Agreement was reached to include definitions for casual lecturing.
Hours of Work/Domestic Marketing Staff
Professor McGuiggan reiterated JCU’s position on hours of work in that JCU is not seeking an increase in span of hours but a move in the hours of operation to 7 am – 7 pm as part of the productivity increase linked to the salary offer.
JCU representatives further submitted that the intent of the current Schedule 9 was to apply to staff in Domestic Marketing, Student Liaison and Casual staff who were employed in the promotion of JCU and its courses to the domestic market and therefore these arrangements should extend to staff who perform these functions in other areas of the University such as Equity and Student Engagement and Student and Academic Services. JCU representatives also seek to broaden the scope to staff in JC International.
Negotiations on this matter will continue.
NTEU’s claim for Casual Academic Conversion
Professor McGuiggan reiterated her concern that the number/percentage of casual academic staff sought for conversion by the NTEU, did not take into account the high number of casual clinical and other practicing professional staff employed by the University who are not seeking an academic career. Your JCU representatives will consult with schools on their casual staff and provide a report back to the union representatives for further consideration.
The next meeting is scheduled for Friday 9 August 2013 to be held in Townsville.
As always your input is valued and you can forward feedback to Enterprise-Bargaining@jcu.edu.au.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses