You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
PROGRESS TO DATE: MEETING: (14 May 2013)
To ensure negotiations continued steadily Professor Robyn McGuiggan attended this meeting by videoconference from Singapore. It was confirmed that the next meeting will be held in Cairns on 29 and 30 May 2013.
The joint Unions have rejected JCU’s offer to staff of 3% for each year of 2013, 2014 and 2015 and have lodged an order for Protected Industrial Action with the Fair Work Commission. JCU has not opposed their application and continue to bargain in good faith.
In the meantime, bargaining negotiations are reaching the final stages with a majority of claims and issues resolved and agreed in principal. It is hoped that a ‘heads of agreement’ may be reached at the upcoming meeting however this may depend upon the NTEU modifying their position on certain issues.
Outstanding issues where agreement is not yet reached:
Fixed Term Employment
The joint Union representatives have indicated that they will consider the early termination of fixed term appointments with notice should external funding be withdrawn, however in return have requested a longer notice period of 3 months rather than the 1 month put forward by JCU. JCU management will consider this proposal.
Academic Workforce issues
Your JCU management representatives expressed concern that the overall academic casual staff numbers referenced, do not truly reflect the ‘teaching casuals’ that the NTEU’s claim refers to and therefore the numbers for conversion are not viable.
The NTEU acknowledged this position and indicated they will review their claim once JCU provides figures outlining the ‘teaching casual’ staff.
Discussion continues and is getting closer to agreement. However agreement for a Teaching Specialist Profile with a 500 hours cap on contact hours cannot be reached. NTEU have offered to increase from 400 to 450. “Contact hours” remains a focal point of conversation.
Special Studies Program (SSP)
The majority of the policy detail has been removed from the Enterprise Agreement with only principle based statements now included. In particular, JCU management sought to include a statement to the effect that staff do not have an automatic right to an SSP where their program does not meet the criteria in the SSP Policy and that programs may be limited due to resourcing issues. The NTEU agreed with the proviso that should an application be rejected due to resource issues, the university would consider a new or resubmitted application within a set timeframe and in this regard 3 years was suggested. The only outstanding matter to be agreed between parties is the review process where an SSP is declined.
P&T - Hours of Work
The latest position from the joint Unions is that they may consider options such as a small increase to the span of hours, small increase to the hours worked in a day or a greater span of hours/days in a week for specific categories of staff i.e. marketing, JCI, IT&R and for staff involved in specific events such as graduations, orientations etc.
The next meeting will be held in Cairns on 29 and 30 May 2013.
As always your input is valued and you can forward feedback to Enterprise-Bargaining@jcu.edu.au.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture