Indigenous Education and Research Centre Pathways to Study
Pathways to Study
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Our Centre
- Our Team
- Our Events
- Study assistance
- Our Research
- Student Success Stories
- Thinking about uni?
- Winter School
- Summer Pre-program
- Useful Links
- Our News
- Postgraduate Courses
- 2020 Indigenous Students' Awards Night
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU Winter School
The 2021 JCU Winter School will run from Sunday 27 June to Friday 2 July
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
Applications Close Sunday 16 May
Discover university life and gain skills for success
Want to know what it's like to be a uni student? Then our residential preparatory program for high school students may be the program for you.
The JCU Winter School for Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students offers students in Year 10, 11 and 12 the chance to experience university life during the school holidays.
Over five days, students live on campus and take part in academic lectures and team-building activities in an interactive program that provides opportunities to meet University staff and students and form bonds with other students in the program.
On-campus accommodation allows for a complete university experience. Accommodation is in the residential colleges on campus and catering is provided for all participants while students are on campus. JCU covers the cost of return travel, including flights, bus or train, for students outside of the Townsville region, within Australia.
The JCU Summer Pre-program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students is an initiative of the Indigenous Education and Research Centre (IERC), in partnership with the JCU academic Colleges.
The Summer Pre-Program is an intensive preparation program for prospective Indigenous students.
Students participating in the program will take part in academic lectures, tutorials and team-building activities in an interactive program that provides opportunities to connect with University staff and students as well as form lasting bonds with other students in the program.
On-campus accommodation allows for a complete university experience. Students are housed in the residential colleges on campus and catering is provided for all participants while on campus.
The IERC covers all travel and accommodation costs related to participating in this program.
Diploma of Higher Education
The Diploma of Higher Education is a one-year course (or two years, part-time) designed to help people who may not meet the academic requirements for entry into a Bachelor degree. The Diploma consists of a combination of introductory and first-year degree subjects, designed to help students develop the necessary skills to be successful university students.
Successful completion of the Diploma will give you a recognised qualification in its own right. Graduating with the Diploma will also allow you to enter many JCU Bachelor degree programs and may give you advanced standing, or credit, for some of the subjects you successfully completed.
Students in the Diploma course will enrol in specific study plans mapped to a target degree. You can choose from a variety of majors including:
- Business Studies
- Engineering and Applied Science
- General Studies
- Information Technology
- Psychological Science
- Social Work
- Society and Culture
Tertiary Access Course
The Tertiary Access Course (TAC) is a pathway course for mature-age students or school leavers who do not have an ATAR Score or recognised experience (must be at least 18 years old at time of application). Note this course is only available to Australian citizens and permanent residents.
There are no subject fees with TAC but there is a Student Services and Amenities Fee for each subject. Eligible students can defer this fee. Please go to Student Services and Amenities Fee for more details.
TAC can be completed full time or part time. TAC is available for internal study only on the Cairns and Townsville campuses.