You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
Student Academic Mailing Lists
The ability to send email to students enrolled in a particular subject or course is provided in one of these ways:
Subject Email Aliases
Subject Email Aliases
Subject aliases are implemented as Private Lists.
The Private List restrictions are:
The lists are not discussion lists and thus not generally available
The lists are not searchable in the Outlook Global Address List (GAL)
The lists can only be posted to by those designated via StaffOnline Teaching Roles Database as
As an example the subject descriptor cs2001 can be qualified by campus, mode and semester:
email@example.com is for all students, regardless of semester, campus, and study mode.
firstname.lastname@example.org is for Cairns semester 1, regardless of study mode.
email@example.com is for Townsville semester 2, regardless of study mode.
firstname.lastname@example.org is for Singapore semester 1, regardless of study mode.
email@example.com is for Townsville, external mode, semester 2.
Note that is still using the old CSDB terminology to describe subject campuses and semesters, Teaching Roles Database has been updated to use Student Management terminology; users will need to make the conversion manually.
Associated staff via supported email clients, e.g. Staff Web Mail, Outlook or Entourage, can only use these lists.
You can send a one-off email to any list of students matching a specific criteria via "Class Lists" in StaffOnline.
Instructions for accessing and using Classlists features are available inside the application.
Note that these email aliases are created temporarily and can be used only for one-time bulk emails.
A coordinator, lecturer or tutor can send email to LearnJCU subject groups via LearnJCU.
For further information on using this and other features, for example discussion boards, of LearnJCU please visit the LearnJCU website.
To enable recipients to tell which subject the message relates to, please include the relevant Subject Code (e.g. 2003_BU1000_TSV_I_S1) in your Email Title.
For teaching staff
Guides for teaching staff can be found in LearnJCU. Lecturers should log into LearnJCU then select the LearnJCU tool box (under "Online Guides and Tutorials") then select the LearnJCU Fast Guides link.
Please contact the IT Help Desk should you require assistance or more information.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture