You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Courses and Study
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Help and Support
- ICT Forms
Staff Email @ JCU
All current JCU staff have access to O365 (Microsoft Office 365) which includes a JCU Staff Email account.
The login for your O356 account is your email address (Firstname.Surname@jcu.edu.au) and your current password.
If you are unsure of your email address or password please contact the IT Help Desk.
Access to email via O365 is provided for your use in a professional capacity while employed at JCU. Please read the following Policies so you understand your responsibilities:
Access to your JCU O356 account, including staff email will be terminated 30 days after your employment at JCU ceases.
Access email anywhere on any device
To access your Email from home, work or overseas, you will need an internet connection.
- Open a supported Web Browser.
- In the address/location field type http://staff.jcu.edu.au/
- Enter your JCU email address (email@example.com) and password, then select Sign In.
- This launches O365. The first time you use O365 mail, a window will open asking you to choose a language and Time Zone.
Make sure that you have selected the correct settings (Queensland users choose UTC +10:00 Brisbane).
- Your account will open into your Email with your email folders displayed on the left and messages on the right.
Access email at work
Staff can use O365 online or a supported email client to access their staff email. Supported email clients include Outlook 2013 or 2016 for PC and Outlook 2013 for Mac.
If you wish to have Outlook set-up on your JCU staff computer please contact the IT Help Desk via the Self Service Portal.
Each staff member has a 25GB email quota, mail, calendar(s), tasks and contacts all count towards your quota usage.
If the amount of data stored in your email account exceeds your quota you will be sent a warning message, as a reminder to delete old emails.
How to check your quota
- Log in to your JCU Staff Email account online
- Navigate to Settings > Mail > General > My Account to see your current mailbox usage.
Group email aliases
There are a number of email aliases and lists provided by JCU to promote communication between units or with students. You can find these on the Contacts page.
Spam and viruses
Spam is unsolicited email, usually sent in bulk. Microsoft provides a full virus and spam scanning service for all Office 365 mailboxes.
For information on spam along with guidelines for naming and safely opening attachments see: Email Spam and Attachments Guide.
The University uses Windows Defender (SCEP) Anti-Virus Software to check all incoming and outgoing email messages. Defender (SCEP) is installed on all JCU owned computers, Windows Defender is also available by default on all personal computers running Windows 10. For more information on viruses and anti-virus software, please read our Computer Virus Guide.
As a JCU Staff member you have access to Lynda.com – simply login with your JCU staff email address and password if prompted! Lynda.com is a wealth of information containing tutorials and self-paced activities that will enable you to master Outlook for the PC or Mac.
The following courses may be of interest:
- Outlook for Mac 2011 Essential Training
- Outlook for Mac 2016 Essential Training
- O365 Outlook Essential Training
Need more help?
Please log a job via the Self Service Portal and one of the JCU IT Support team will be happy to assist you further.