You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
Staff Email @ JCU
All current JCU staff have access to O365 (Microsoft Office 365) which includes a JCU Staff Email account.
The login for your O356 account is your email address (Firstname.Surname@jcu.edu.au) and your current password.
If you are unsure of your email address or password please contact the IT Help Desk.
Access to email via O365 is provided for your use in a professional capacity while employed at JCU. Please read the following Policies so you understand your responsibilities:
Access to your JCU O356 account, including staff email will be terminated 30 days after your employment at JCU ceases.
Access email anywhere on any device
To access your Email from home, work or overseas, you will need an internet connection.
- Open a supported Web Browser.
- In the address/location field type http://staff.jcu.edu.au/
- Enter your JCU email address (email@example.com) and password, then select Sign In.
- This launches O365. The first time you use O365 mail, a window will open asking you to choose a language and Time Zone.
Make sure that you have selected the correct settings (Queensland users choose UTC +10:00 Brisbane).
- Your account will open into your Email with your email folders displayed on the left and messages on the right.
Access email at work
Staff can use O365 online or a supported email client to access their staff email. Supported email clients include Outlook 2013 or 2016 for PC and Outlook 2013 for Mac.
If you wish to have Outlook set-up on your JCU staff computer please contact the IT Help Desk via the Self Service Portal.
Each staff member has a 100GB email quota, mail, calendar(s), tasks and contacts all count towards your quota usage.
If the amount of data stored in your email account exceeds your quota you will be sent a warning message, as a reminder to delete old emails.
How to check your quota
- Log in to your JCU Staff Email account online
- Navigate to Settings > Mail > General > My Account to see your current mailbox usage.
Group email aliases
There are a number of email aliases and lists provided by JCU to promote communication between units or with students. You can find these on the Contacts page.
Spam and viruses
Spam is unsolicited email, usually sent in bulk. Microsoft provides a full virus and spam scanning service for all Office 365 mailboxes.
For information on spam along with guidelines for naming and safely opening attachments see: Email Spam and Attachments Guide.
The University uses Windows Defender (SCEP) Anti-Virus Software to check all incoming and outgoing email messages. Defender (SCEP) is installed on all JCU owned computers, Windows Defender is also available by default on all personal computers running Windows 10. For more information on viruses and anti-virus software, please read our Computer Virus Guide.
As a JCU Staff member you have access to LinkedIn Learning, login with your JCU staff email address and password if prompted! LinkedIn Learning is a wealth of information containing tutorials and self-paced activities that will enable you to master Outlook for the PC or Mac.
The following courses may be of interest:
Need more help?
Please log a job via the Self Service Portal and one of the JCU IT Support team will be happy to assist you further.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture