You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
IBM SPSS Software License
The University has entered into a new SPSS Agreement with the new owners of this product, IBM. The new Agreement brings a number of new usage options for staff and HDR students and some constraints on Staff usage.
The software license covers JCU staff & HDR students located on the Townsville, Cairns and Singapore campuses as well as Teaching Sites. The same Terms & Conditions exist across all campuses & teaching sites. Where specific numbers of licenses have been purchased this number is aggregated across all campuses and teaching sites.
The product suite has been upgraded to IBM SPSS Campus Premium
Installing the Software
If you are a JCU staff person or a JCU HDR student (see categories and usage rights below) and you wish to have the IBM SPSS Campus Premium Package installed on your computer please contact the IT Helpdesk and they will assign the request to your ITR IT Support Team to assist you. This includes installations under “Work at Home rights” (see below).
Academic/Research/Teaching/Technical Staff Usage
The IBM SPSS Campus Premium suite can be installed on any JCU owned or leased computer that is being used by a JCU staff member in this category. This includes AMOS.
The computer, being owned or leased by the University, does not have to be physically located on any specific campus, or within Australia, provided that it is only being used by a current JCU staff member within this category.
Administrative Staff Usage
Administrative staff are not permitted to install IBM SPSS Campus Premium Software under the license issued for all other staff. Administrative Staff are defined by IBM SPSS as staff whose day-to-day tasks are related to the running of the University eg Finance staff, HRM staff, Corporate Planning staff, Estate Office staff, Student Administration staff.
JCU has been provisioned with 10 IBM SPSS Standard Package licenses that can be used to install this version of the software onto a JCU owned computer being used by an “Administration staff” member. There is no “Work at Home Rights” for Administration staff ie we cannot install neither the specific Standard Admin pack nor the Campus Premium pack on an “Administration Staff” member’s personally owned computer.
Staff “Work at Home” rights
For all staff, other than “Administrative staff”, our Agreement includes 100 licenses that will allow the IBM SPSS Premium Package to be installed on one personally owned computer. The computer can be in use outside of Australia, providing that the computer is only being used by a current JCU staff person (not administrative staff) and the software is being used for University purposes.
In the event that the JCU staff member ceases to be a staff member at JCU the software must be uninstalled immediately.
The Agreement provides for 20 staff “Work at Home” licenses for AMOS. This software package operates under the same Terms & Conditions as the IBM SPSS Campus Premium package “work at home” license (see above)
The Agreement allows for the IBM SPSS Campus Premium package to be installed on any JCU owned or leased computer being used by a JCU HDR student, this includes AMOS.
HDR Student’s Work at Home Rights
The Agreement includes 100 licenses that will allow for the IBM SPSS Campus Premium Package to be installed on a HDR student’s personal computer. The computer does not have to be physically located on one of the 3 main campuses nor within Australia. The computer can only be for the use of the JCU HDR student and the software can only be used for work associated with the student’s studies/research at JCU.
In the event that the HDR student ceases to be a JCU student the software must be uninstalled from their computer immediately.
Post Graduate students who do not meet the HDR Work at home criteria can purchase an education version of IBM SPSS Premium directly from Hearne Software. Students should ensure they purchase SPSS Grad Pack Premium, to obtain all available software features.
Undergraduate students are not licensed to use IBM SPSS on their personally owned computers. The software is installed on all computers located in student labs and Library Buildings.
Students can purchase an education version directly from Hearne Software.
Contacting the IT Helpdesk
You can contact the IT Helpdesk via your Service Management Web Self Service Portal. This service can be accessed from a desktop, laptop or mobile device from on or off campus.
You can contact the IT Helpdesk via email to ITHelpdesk@jcu.edu.au. Email requests will be serviced Mon-Fri from 8am to 6pm when the University is open
You can contact the IT Helpdesk via phone by dialling 15500 (if you are on the Townsville campus) or 21777 (if you are on the Cairns campus) selecting Option 1 from the Service Menu. If you are dialling external to the University the number is 61+ 7 47815500. This service is available Mon-Fri from 8am to 6pm when the University is open.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture