You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
JCU Computer Account Information
JCU computer accounts are created and maintained via the University's Identity Management System (IDM). This system provides account and password synchronisation across the majority of the computing and communication services in place at the University.
Identity data is drawn from both the Human Resources and Student Management Systems and matched to provide a single identifier for each individual. Account status, lifespan and access to systems is a superset of all access calculated from Human Resources and Student System information.
New full-time, part-time or casual employees are automatically provisioned with a JCU Computer Account two weeks prior to their appointment commencement date entered against their position data in the Human Resources Management Information System (HRMIS).
Student accounts are provisioned as part of the enrolment process and access to JCU Online Services is governed by the ICT Access and Account Management Procedures.
Electronic Mail Address
Your electronic mail address is provisioned in the format of Firstname.Surname by using information from the Human Resources and/or Student Management Systems. If another person already at the University has the same name combination as you, your email address may contain a numerical designation on the end.
As part of their employment staff are given access to an @jcu.edu.au account to manage their business email, calendar, contacts and tasks. This account is provided for all business related communication for the duration of employment at JCU. All incoming and outgoing email for this business account is archived which provides the protection of any information in the event of loss and ensures that business related email is archived, searchable and recoverable to address legislative record-keeping requirements.
Students are automatically provided with an @my.jcu.edu.au email account once their enrolment status is in a 'course admitted' state. Your email account is integral to everyday life at the University and we encourage you to check it regularly, but be aware that there is no archiving enabled on student email accounts.
In certain cases accounts may be disabled. If you find that your account has been disabled, you should contact the IT Help Desk who will provide you with information on the process to follow to have it re-enabled or request an extension of access be applied to it.
There are a number of reasons why your JCU computer account may be disabled. A staff members JCU computer account will be disabled according to the position termination date as recorded in the Human Resources Management Information System. That information is controlled by Human Resources.
A students JCU computer account will be disabled when Student Services records that you are no longer an enrolled student of the University and are flagged as 'absent without leave' or Withdrawn' in the Student System.
Possible reasons for any account being disabled are:
You are no longer an enrolled student or have a current staff appointment at James Cook University;
You have changed or are changing your employment or student status;
Your account is subject to disciplinary action. See Usage Guidelines and Penalties;
Your account may be under suspicion of being compromised, stolen or hacked;
You may have to wait for the creation or re-enabling of your JCU computer account, as this requires Student Enrolments or Human Resources to update the information in their databases.
In collaboration with the Human Resources team ICT endeavours to address any delays that staff may have in relation to their JCU computer account being unavailable for use.
The accounts of Undergraduates are current for the year of enrolment and are extended for 6 weeks after course completion.
Postgraduate by Coursework Students
The accounts of Postgraduates by Coursework are current for the year of enrolment and are extended for 6 months after course completion.
Postgraduate by Research Students
The accounts of Postgraduates by Research are current for:
The year of enrolment, and are extended for 6 months after course completion.
Further, for at most another year post their thesis submission date.
Receive a 30 day grace period after their appointment expires to finalise any outstanding email. After the 30 day grace period the account will be disabled.
Receive a 6 month grace period after their appointment expires to allowing for continuing access during unpaid periods. After the 6 month grace period the account will be disabled.
Students who successfully graduate from their completed course at JCU are granted Alumni status with the University and entitled to retain access to their @my.jcu.edu.au email account. However, once you graduate you will lose access to the other benefits an enrolled student receives, like the Microsoft Office 365 Subscription and other Office apps like OneDrive etc. that form part of the student Office 365 license.
Extensions of Staff and Student accounts are handled by application for 'Post-Finishing'. Applications will be dealt with on an individual basis, but will not normally be extended for more than 7 days post the grace period unless there are extenuating circumstances and Division approval is received.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses