JCU Computer Account Information
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Student IT Essentials
- Staff IT Essentials
- Help and Support
- Stay Informed
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- IT Service Catalog
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU computer accounts are created and maintained via the University's Identity Management System (IDM). This system provides account and password synchronisation across the majority of the computing and communication services in place at the University.
Identity data is drawn from both the Human Resources and Student Management Systems and matched to provide a single identifier for each individual. Account status, lifespan and access to systems is a superset of all access calculated from Human Resources and Student System information.
New full-time, part-time or casual employees are automatically provisioned with a JCU Computer Account two weeks prior to their appointment commencement date entered against their position data in the Human Resources Management Information System (HRMIS).
Student accounts are provisioned as part of the enrolment process and access to JCU Online Services is governed by the ICT Access and Account Management Procedures.
Electronic Mail Address
Your electronic mail address is provisioned in the format of Firstname.Surname by using information from the Human Resources and/or Student Management Systems. If another person already at the University has the same name combination as you, your email address may contain a numerical designation on the end.
As part of their employment staff are given access to an @jcu.edu.au account to manage their business email, calendar, contacts and tasks. This account is provided for all business related communication for the duration of employment at JCU. All incoming and outgoing email for this business account is archived which provides the protection of any information in the event of loss and ensures that business related email is archived, searchable and recoverable to address legislative record-keeping requirements.
Students are automatically provided with an @my.jcu.edu.au email account once their enrolment status is in a 'course admitted' state. Your email account is integral to everyday life at the University and we encourage you to check it regularly, but be aware that there is no archiving enabled on student email accounts.
In certain cases accounts may be disabled. If you find that your account has been disabled, you should contact the IT Help Desk who will provide you with information on the process to follow to have it re-enabled or request an extension of access be applied to it.
There are a number of reasons why your JCU computer account may be disabled. A staff members JCU computer account will be disabled according to the position termination date as recorded in the Human Resources Management Information System. That information is controlled by Human Resources.
A students JCU computer account will be disabled when Student Services records that you are no longer an enrolled student of the University and are flagged as 'absent without leave' or Withdrawn' in the Student System.
Possible reasons for any account being disabled are:
You are no longer an enrolled student or have a current staff appointment at James Cook University;
You have changed or are changing your employment or student status;
Your account is subject to disciplinary action. See Usage Guidelines and Penalties;
Your account may be under suspicion of being compromised, stolen or hacked;
You may have to wait for the creation or re-enabling of your JCU computer account, as this requires Student Enrolments or Human Resources to update the information in their databases.
In collaboration with the Human Resources team ICT endeavours to address any delays that staff may have in relation to their JCU computer account being unavailable for use.
The accounts of Undergraduates are current for the year of enrolment and are extended for 6 weeks after course completion.
Postgraduate by Coursework Students
The accounts of Postgraduates by Coursework are current for the year of enrolment and are extended for 6 months after course completion.
Postgraduate by Research Students
The accounts of Postgraduates by Research are current for:
The year of enrolment, and are extended for 6 months after course completion.
Further, for at most another year post their thesis submission date.
Receive a 30 day grace period after their appointment expires to finalise any outstanding email. After the 30 day grace period the account will be disabled.
Receive a 6 month grace period after their appointment expires to allowing for continuing access during unpaid periods. After the 6 month grace period the account will be disabled.
Students who successfully graduate from their completed course at JCU are granted Alumni status with the University and entitled to retain access to their @my.jcu.edu.au email account. However, once you graduate you will lose access to the other benefits an enrolled student receives, like the Microsoft Office 365 Subscription and other Office apps like OneDrive etc. that form part of the student Office 365 license.
Extensions of Staff and Student accounts are handled by application for 'Post-Finishing'. Applications will be dealt with on an individual basis, but will not normally be extended for more than 7 days post the grace period unless there are extenuating circumstances and Division approval is received.