You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Courses and Study
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Head and key contact
- Maria Mu, Manager, Internal Audit, phone (07) 4781 5182, email: email@example.com
- Internal Audit shared email: firstname.lastname@example.org (for all correspondence relating to grant auditing and audit recommendation follow-up).
Internal auditing is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organisation’s operations. It helps an organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
At James Cook University, the independent Internal Audit function within the Legal and Assurance Unit of the Office of the Chief of Staff, adds value to the University and its stakeholders, by providing objective and relevant assurance and advisory services.
The Manager, Internal Audit is the University’s nominated officer as the “Head of Internal Audit” under Section 78, Queensland Financial Accountability Act 2009, and the “Chief Audit Executive” under the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
The Manager, Internal Audit reports functionally to the Vice Chancellor and the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee of the University Council, and administratively to the University General Counsel. The Manager Internal Audit has free and unrestricted access to the Chief of Staff, the Vice Chancellor and the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee.
Internal Audit currently operates under a co-sourced service delivery model. Under the co-sourced model, Internal Audit activities are performed by a combination of in-house and contract resources. The Manager, Internal Audit is responsible for the performance of the co-sourcing partners in particular the quality of the work conducted by them.
- The purpose, authority, and responsibility of the Internal Audit function are formally defined in the Internal Audit Charter (PDF, 73 KB).
- The role of Internal Audit to the requirements of the University over the medium term in the context of all the University’s assurance activities, audit coverage prioritisation, and the annual work schedule, are outlined in the Internal Audit Strategic Plan 2019-2021 & Annual Work Schedule 2019 (PDF, 217 KB).
- The Internal Audit Protocol (PDF, 125 KB) outlines the respective roles and responsibilities of Internal Audit and Management in the course of common internal audit activities. It is intended to serve as a general reference for both Internal Audit and Management with a view to improving stakeholder communication and enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the Internal Audit processes.
- Specific procedural information is available for the following routine internal audit activities:
Stakeholders are encouraged to direct any further queries or feedback regarding the Internal Audit function to the Manager, Internal Audit.
- Internal Audit Charter (PDF, 73 KB)
- Internal Audit Strategic Plan 201-2021 & Annual Work Schedule (PDF, 217 KB)
- Internal Audit Protocol (PDF, 125 KB)
- Grant Audit - Checklist/Procedures (DOCX, 38 KB)
- Audit Recommendation Follow Up - Process Overview (PDF, 53 KB)
For and queries on grant auditing and audit recommendation follow-ups, email email@example.com.