You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- Study guides
Study Abroad and Exchange
Australia Awards Scholarships
International Pathways to JCU
- Enrolment help
- All courses
Applying to JCU
Fees and costs
Coming to Australia
Planning your arrival
- Useful links for new residents
Life in Australia
Working in Australia
- Planning your arrival
Life at JCU
- Campuses and Locations
Student services and support
- Clubs and events
- Student stories
In your language
The Townsville region is a unique mix of rainforests, reefs, sandy beaches, outback towns and islands.
Population: 189 000
Weather: Summer months reach 32°C, winter has temperatures of around 25°C
To explore more about what Townsville has to offer visit Townsville Holiday.
Some services include:
- Townsville Multicultural Support Group for international families or individuals (including students).
- Townsville Intercultural Centre: advice on employment, health, cultural activities, legal aid, education and other services.
- Multifaith Chaplaincy Service: assistance from JCU to connect you with your faith or support group.
JCU Counselling or Lifeline: professional counselling services.
- Find an extensive list of Townsville services in the Community Directory.
There is an extensive range of restaurants and cafés in Townsville. Cultural cuisine, typically Aussie meals and fine dining can be found on Flinders or Palmer Streets in the city or at Cannon Park, 10 minutes from JCU campus. Ask other students for their recommendations.
Shopping centres and supermarkets
Shopping centres conveniently located near JCU campus are Stockland Shopping Centre and Willows Shopping Centre - it takes about 10-15 minutes to reach either centre from campus and are accessible via public transport. For more options, there are other Shopping Centres available in Townsville.
Markets in Townsville are held regularly throughout the week and have a range of entertainment, food, fashion, arts, crafts and fresh produce.
There are a variety of Second Hand Shops in Townsville that may be useful for buying goods such as furniture, clothes, kitchen utensils and books.
An Australia Post Office (open weekdays 9:00am – 5:00pm) is located on campus within the Student Bookshop. Locations and Hours on the Australia Post website will direct you to the location of other post offices.
Townsville is diverse in its entertainment and events. The tropical weather allows for many outdoor activities to be enjoyed for much of the year.
See what’s on:
- For events and entertainment around the region: Townsville Enterprise.
- For sporting events, dinner and a show, concerts and live performances: Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre.
- For everything from art exhibitions, concerts, festivals and sporting competitions: Queensland Holidays- Townsville Events.
- For regular community events, such as markets, and more: Townsville City Council Calendar.
- For movies at the cinema: Warrina Cineplex in Currajong, Event Cinemas in the city and Reading Cinemas at Cannon Park.
- All cinemas offer student concession prices when you present your JCU student identification card.
Proof of age
In Australia you must be over the age of 18 to enter venues that sell alcohol. When entering a bar or nightclub Queensland State Law requires venues to sight identification for age verification before allowing you on the premises. Your JCU student card or International Student Card (ISIC Card) are not acceptable as proof of age.
If you have a driver’s licence that has your photograph, date of birth and is in English you can use this as proof of age. By carrying your passport as your only form of identification you can risk it being stolen or lost. To prevent this apply for an Adult Proof of Age Card (18+ Card) through the Queensland Government.