Getting to JCU / Arrival Service
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- Why JCU?
- Exchange and Study Abroad
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- International Pathways to JCU
- JCU Study and Information Guides
- Applying to JCU
- Fees and costs
Coming to Australia
- Arrival service
- Useful links for new residents
- Life in Australia
- Working in Australia
- Living costs and other expenses
- What to bring
- Life at JCU
- Contact us
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
A free arrival service is available for all new international students arriving in Cairns and Townsville from 10 - 23 February 2020 for Teaching Period 1 2020.
Registration has now closed to book the free arrival service for TP1 2020. If you are arriving between 10 - 23 February and would still like to be met on your arrival in Townsville or Cairns, please email the International Student Support team on email@example.com with your JCU student ID number, flight and accommodation details. Please note that we require 48 hours notice of your booking to ensure that you are met on your arrival.
The Arrival Service is only available for a two week period at the beginning of every Teaching Period. If you intend to arrive outside of the available arrival service period, you will need to arrange your own transport to your accommodation or consider alternative local transport services.
If you are a Townsville Campus student and your flight arrives at the Cairns International Airport, you need to make your own travel arrangements between Cairns and Townsville. Qantas, Virgin Australia, Greyhound Australia and Queensland Rail offer transport between Cairns and Townsville.
As the services transports you to your accommodation, ensure you have arranged your temporary or permanent accommodation before booking an Arrival Service.
On arrival at JCU
You will be met on your arrival by a representative of JCU's arrival service company and taken to your pre-arranged accommodation and important information will be provided to you for the first 24 hours after your arrival.
Alternative local transport services
Townsville and Cairns both have reliable taxi services.
A taxi meter is used and will determine the cost of your travel:
- Townsville airport to JCU: approximately AUD$40
- Cairns airport to the city centre: approximately AUD$30
There are taxis available which service all arrival ports in Cairns and Townsville.
- Cairns Airport shuttle: Cairns Airport Connections, Excellence Coaches
- Cairns Taxis
- Townsville Taxis
- Uber Australia
For more information contact JCU's International Student Support team by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.