Work and your Student Visa

If you were granted a student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you will receive permission to work when your Student Visa is granted. This will apply to both yourself as the primary student and any family members travelling with you on your student visa.

You must have commenced studies at JCU before you or any family members can commence working.

Under Australian immigration regulations, students on a student visa may work up to 40 hours per fortnight whilst your course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of your course of study or training). Further information about your working entitlements while studying in Australia on a student visa can be found at the Department of Home Affairs.