Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- Why JCU?
- Exchange and Study Abroad
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- International Pathways to JCU
- JCU Study and Information Guides
- Applying to JCU
- Fees and costs
Coming to Australia
- Arrival service
- Useful links for new residents
- Life in Australia
- Working in Australia
- Living costs and other expenses
- What to bring
- Life at JCU
- Contact us
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
OSHC is insurance to assist international students in meeting the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia.
As an international student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have OSHC for the entire duration of your stay in Australia.
Note: Students who do not arrive in Australia on a student visa will not be covered by OSHC until they have obtained a student visa.
Exceptions to this requirement only apply where the Department of Home Affairs recognises a suitable alternative health cover arrangement.
This currently includes Norwegian students who have health cover with the approved home government insurer.
Belgian students are also no longer required to purchase OSHC as they meet the health insurance requirement on the basis of the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Belgium and Australia. For more information, visit Department of Home Affairs.
The approved health cover arrangements for Swedish students have recently changed. Only Swedish students covered by Kammarkollegiet are exempt from the requirement for OSHC, and CSN insurance is no longer considered an acceptable alternative to OSHC as it is not managed by the Swedish government.
Any enquiries should be directed to the Department of Home Affairs. If you have family members who are coming to Australia as dependants on your student visa, you will need to arrange ‘family’ OSHC.
If you intend to bring family members with you to Australia as dependents on your student visa they must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) as one of the conditions of their visa.
To include your family in your OSHC membership, you will need to upgrade your single student cover to family cover. Additional fees will apply.
If you need to change your membership from single cover to family cover, contact JCU's preferred OSHC provider Allianz Global Assistance
Australia Awards Scholarship (AAS) students must see AAS staff first before making any changes to their health cover membership. AAS students are required to pay additional premiums for OSHC family cover.
For more information about visa requirements visit the Department of Home Affairs
Allianz Global Assistance
JCU's preferred OSHC partner for our Student Visa holders is Allianz Global Assistance. If your OSHC is established or renewed by JCU, it will be with Allianz Global Assistance. Allianz provides a comprehensive service for JCU students, including:
- an Allianz representative is located in the Student Centre on the Townsville campus. Availability is currently Tuesday and Thursdays, 10am to 4pm. Contact SWicks@allianz-assistance.com.au for more information.
- the "My OSHC assistant" App for smartphones makes it easy to make claims, access your membership e-card, a network of medical providers and the 24/7 helpline.
- You can also contact Allianz directly using the Member services customer support line on 13 6742 (13 OSHC), or go to the Allianz website
For information on what you are covered for, refer to the Allianz policy document and members guide.
For further information on: