You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- Explore Grants and Funding
Partner with us
Research Contracts & Consultancies
Innovate with us
- Defence Trade Controls
- Intellectual Property
- Discover our Facilities
- Contact Us
Ethics and Research Integrity
- Low/Negligible Risk Applications
- Closing Dates for Submission of Human Ethics Applications
- Getting help from Human Ethics Advisors
- Health Service Districts and External HREC Approvals
- How to submit a human research ethics application: Full HREC review
- Human Research Ethics
- Human Ethics Advisors
- Complaints and Unexpected Events
Animal Welfare and Ethics
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics
- Research Code of Conduct
- Human Ethics
JCU Connect Ethics and Research Integrity Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics How to Submit an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Application
How to Submit an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Application
An Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ethics application consists of:
- JCU Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Application Form (DOCX, 251 KB)
- JCU Information sheet (DOC, 239 KB) (if applicable)
- JCU Informed consent form (if applicable)
- Attachments (draft or final copies of surveys, questionnaires, letters of support/approval
You can also use the National Health and Medical Research Council’s Human Ethics Application Form for submission to the James Cook University HREC. It is recommended that this form be used if you are conducting any research that requires multi-institutional/multi-health service district approvals.
Please read the Guidelines to Complete an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Application (PDF, 141 KB) before you attempt to draft your application. These guidelines can be found at Forms and Downloads. Once you have a draft ready and your Supervisor/s (if applicable) is satisfied with the document, you need to forward the application to an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Advisor for review. This review can take time, so please take note of the Closing Dates for Submission of Ethics Applications.
Once the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ethics Advisor has reviewed and signed the application ready for submission:
A fully signed application (signed by Principal Investigator, Supervisor/s (if applicable), Dean of College/Delegate and Human Ethics Advisor) including any attachments.
Email one electronic copy in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
The pdf file should include the ethics application and any attachments such as checklists, information sheet, consent form, etc. If the application and attachments are not submitted as one pdf file it will NOT be accepted and you will be asked to resubmit in one pdf file.
Please note: Any Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ethics application received after the closing date for a meeting will be held over to the next meeting of the Human Research Ethics Committee.
Any incomplete applications or applications submitted without the appropriate signatures will not be submitted to the HREC for review.