HREC Application Review
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- About JCU Connect
- Partner with us
- Innovate with us
- Research Grants and Funding
Ethics and Research Integrity
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Human Research Ethics
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics
- Clinical Trials
- Research Integrity
- Research Integrity Advisors
- Ethics FAQs
- Research Contracts
- Research Performance Reporting and Analytics
- Discover our Research and Testing Facilities
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Find an Expert
- Contact JCU Connect
- FAQs and Fact Sheets
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
The level of ethical review of human research will depend on the potential risks the research may present to the participants, as described in the National Statement (Read Sections 5.1.6 – 8)
Low and Negligible Risk Research Review
Research that involves meets the criteria of low or negligible risk, may be reviewed by the HREC’s Executive, which consists of the Chair and one other member of the HREC.
For negligible and low risk executive review, we aim to have your application reviewed within 5-7 working days.
To help guide you determining the risk of your research please refer to the Human Research Ethics Risk Assessment.
Research Involving More Than Low Risk
Full HREC review is required for all human research that involves more than low risk to the participants, or research that raises certain other ethical issues, such as:
- Participant groups that require special consideration.
- Clinical trials.
- The use of human biospecimens.
- Genomic research.
- Animal-to-human xenotransplantation.
- People highly dependent on medical care who may not be able to give consent
- Pregnant women or the human foetus.
- People who may be involved in illegal activity.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For the review of research where the risk may be more than discomfort, we aim to have a response from the Committee within 10 working days after a meeting.
Acknowledgement of External HREC Approvals
In accordance with the National Statement, if you are a JCU staff member or students and have research approved by an external/non-JCU HREC, we can acknowledge the approval so that you don’t need to submit an application to the JCU HREC. JCU will not conduct another review of the research, we will only acknowledge that you have approval already.
To have an external approval acknowledged, the external HREC must be registered with the NHMRCand the person submitting the request will need to be listed as an investigator on the approval.
If your application has been reviewed and approved by an oversees review body, we may or may not be able to acknowledge that approval depending on where the approval was granted. Contact the ethics team to seek advice.
Exempt Research Review
If you feel your research meets the criteria and may be exempt from ethical review, contact the ethics team to confirm its exemption or submit a negligible risk application form for review.