You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Estate Directorate
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Explore Grants and Funding
Partner with us
Research Contracts & Consultancies
Innovate with us
- Defence Trade Controls
- Intellectual Property
- Discover our Facilities
- Contact Us
Ethics and Research Integrity
- Low/Negligible Risk Applications
- Closing Dates for Submission of Human Ethics Applications
- Getting help from Human Ethics Advisors
- Health Service Districts and External HREC Approvals
- How to submit a human research ethics application: Full HREC review
- Human Research Ethics
- Human Ethics Advisors
- Complaints and Unexpected Events
- Overview of Application Submission Process (Flowchart)
Animal Welfare and Ethics
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics
- Research Code of Conduct
- Human Ethics
FAQ - Grants
Click a question below to scroll down to the answer on this page.
Research Professional is the preferred system used by the James Cook University research community to search for funding opportunities and funding related news. Every research student and employee has an account created and is automatically assigned to a default division, college or discipline from where they can share funding searches specific to their field.
Follow this link for further information on Research Professional and the JCU contacts.
The Research Funding Approval Form has been designed to ensure that all FTE and other in-kind and cash contributions have been appropriately reviewed and approved by the College or Directorate. It also allows for the collection data for various internal and external requirements for successful grants, e.g negotiation of final agreements, cost centre allocation, and invoicing.
The Research Funding Approval Form must be completed and submitted to JCU Connect with your application (see JCU Connect deadlines below) and/or with any research contracts and consultancies. JCU Connect cannot process your successful grant or contract without the completed form.
The internal closing date for applications is one week prior to the closing date of the funding body for domestic applications, and two weeks prior to the closing date for overseas applications.
Applications not submitted to JCU Connect within the appropriate timeframes cannot be guaranteed the attention they deserve. Supervisors need to ensure that students are aware of the procedures for submission of applications which must be processed through JCU Connect.
Deadlines are set to allow time to review all of the submissions for a scheme, arrange for corrections, obtain the necessary University approvals and submit to the funding body by its deadline. Given even the best checking processes, please allow time if you may have missed something that will have to be corrected before it can be submitted.
No, the JCU Connect Director has authority to sign research grant agreements and grant applications up to the value of $2,000,000. The SDVC has unlimited authority to sign research grant agreements and grant applications.
No. It is best to search through the funding opportunities on the Research Professional and determine if any of the guidelines will suit your project. JCU Connect can provide feedback on draft proposals if provided well in advance of the deadline. Feedback can include information about animal and human ethics, Intellectual Property, if the proposal has been set out correctly, readability and eligibility, etc.
Please also consider the following:
Talk to your peers and find out what grants they accessed in the past.
Small grant opportunities come up ad hoc and the best way to find these is to subscribe and create email alerts on the Research Professional system.
Yes. JCU Connect attaches the Tax Exemption Certificate where this is required with a grant application.
JCU does not have a Certificate of Incorporation as the University is incorporated under The James Cook University Act 1997.
JCU Connect provides the web link to the signed and audited financial statements with your application when it is submitted. The statements can be found in JCU’s annual report.
JCU also holds a number of other certificates which can be attached to grant applications as required.
- Endorsement as an income tax exempt charitable entity.
- Bank account details - usually only requested after notification of success.
- ABN notification of registration.
- Endorsement as a deductible gift recipient.
- Notice of endorsement for charity tax concessions.
I have a question regarding my Higher Degree Stipend and Graduate Research Scheme funding and the administration in my College is unable to answer, who do I contact?
The Graduate Research School (GRS) administers all funding in relation to Higher Degree stipends. Your Division should be able to help you with information regarding the Graduate Research Scheme.
No. JCU Connect will add a signed (by the Director of JCU Connect) cover letter on University letterhead to the application when it is submitted.
I need to courier my grant application how do I arrange this?
JCU Connect (Cairns and Townsville) will coordinate the submission to be couriered to the funding body as long as the application is provided to JCU Connect with enough lead time to check the submission, add any required attachments and arrange the courier company to pick up.
The grant guidelines state that the application should also be sent electronically, do I do that myself?
No. JCU Connect will send the email and necessary attachments to the funding body.
The funding body has notified me directly of the outcomes of my application, do I need to do anything?
If you are advised directly of the outcome of a grant application, please advise JCU Connect. Quite often the funding body contacts the Chief Investigator directly. We do need to know if your grant was successful/unsuccessful so that files can be archived and if it is successful to commence procedures to open new accounts so you can access the research funds.
I have been successful in applying for a grant however I didn’t notify JCU Connect when applying. What do I do now?
You will need to provide the following documentation to JCU Connect to allow an account to be set up, invoices to be created and your access to project funds organised with Grants Finance:
- The signed (by relevant Dean of College) and completed Research Funding Approval Form.
- A copy of the original application to the funding body.
- The letter from the funding body notifying that the grant has been successful and any attached agreements for signing or offer of grant forms.
Once all paperwork has been provided to JCU Connect it is entered into JCU Connect database (RIMS) and sent to Financial and Business Services (FaBS) for action. FaBS is responsible for opening the account, advising the Chief Investigator of the account number and creating the invoices.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture