New Professor Grants Guidelines
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- About JCU Connect
- Explore Grants and Funding
Ethics and Research Integrity
- Low/Negligible Risk Applications
- Closing Dates for Submission of Human Ethics Applications
- Getting help from Human Ethics Advisors
- Health Service Districts and External HREC Approvals
- How to submit a human research ethics application: Full HREC review
- Human Research Ethics
- Human Ethics Advisors
- Complaints and Unexpected Events
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics
- Research Code of Conduct
- Clinical Trials
- Human Ethics
Partner with us
- Intellectual Property
- Research Contracts & Consultancies
- Innovate with us
- Defence Trade Controls
- Our Technologies
- Events, Workshops and Opportunities
- Contact Us
- General Enquiry Form
- Preparing for a New Collaboration or Partnership
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
SCHEME CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW
New Professor Grants are designed to assist new Professors to establish their research activities at JCU.
Download the application form.
Eligible applicants must be new to James Cook University and have been appointed to a professorial position.
Grants will be awarded up to $25,000.
Funds are to be used for the project’s general research purposes e.g. research assistance, equipment, maintenance, consumables and research travel.
Colleges are responsible for providing basic facilities, for which the grant cannot be used. These include:
Accommodation (e.g. laboratory and office);
Access to film or music editing facilities;
Access to a basic library collection;
Standard reference materials or funds for abstracting services;
Provision of computers, including laptops (excluding access to high-performance computers or other specialised applications) and basic computing facilities such as printers, word processing and other standard software; and
Use of photocopiers, telephones, mail, fax, email and internet services.
Duration of Grant
Grants must commence within one year of the applicant taking up the professorial appointment at JCU. Grant funds must be fully expended two years from the date the grant is awarded.
A complete application consists of:
New Professor Grants application form;
Two (2) pages free form text describing the project.
The project description (2) pages must include a clear outline of the project’s scope (including a timeline), aims and a justification of the budget.
Applications will be reviewed by the appropriate Divisional Deputy Vice-Chancellor and forwarded to the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor for approval.
The Research Services will call for reports annually on the outcomes of the project. A final report must be submitted upon completion of the project. (Research Services will provide a pro-forma report form for this purpose). Reports will be referred to the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor for review and approval.