Strategic Research Investment Fund (SRIF)
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- About JCU Connect
- Explore Grants and Funding
Ethics and Research Integrity
- Low/Negligible Risk Applications
- Closing Dates for Submission of Human Ethics Applications
- Getting help from Human Ethics Advisors
- Health Service Districts and External HREC Approvals
- How to submit a human research ethics application: Full HREC review
- Human Research Ethics
- Human Ethics Advisors
- Complaints and Unexpected Events
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Ethics
- Research Code of Conduct
- Clinical Trials
- Human Ethics
Partner with us
- Intellectual Property
- Research Contracts & Consultancies
- Innovate with us
- Defence Trade Controls
- Our Technologies
- Events, Workshops and Opportunities
- Contact Us
- General Enquiry Form
- Preparing for a New Collaboration or Partnership
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Strategic Research Investment Fund (SRIF)
The Strategic Research Investment Fund (SRIF) aims to seed programs of work that align with strategic research priorities and enhance the research capabilities of James Cook University (JCU). Research supported by SRIF should have high potential to contribute to the diversification of income and demonstrate clear pathways towards sustainability. Successful programs will demonstrate the potential to leverage existing research capability to build new platforms and access or develop new opportunities.
In 2019, a total of $1M is available for investment through SRIF.
The fund is open to JCU staff in Townsville, Cairns and Singapore. Application is by way of a Program Business Case that provides clear objectives, measurable outcomes and criteria by which success of the program can be evaluated. The Program Business Case must include clear plans for sources of external investment in the program, including end-user investment and support.
Each program of work will be funded for up to 3 years, with a total maximum investment of $1M from SRIF for the duration of the grant. A maximum of $500,000 may be awarded in any single year of the grant.
The SRIF scheme is intended to seed programs that are able to demonstrate a clear path toward sustainability through accessing a number of potential income streams that are credible and verifiable, including end-user contributions, and/or support from external grants. Total return on investment in the SRIF program should be 3:1 (this can include both external cash and external in-kind returns). Applications that can demonstrate an external cash component of at least 1:1 (ie. matching the SRIF investment) may be prioritised. In all cases, the program plan must demonstrate clear, achievable milestones and credible, verifiable outcomes. The SRIF scheme is not intended to provide funds to a program beyond three years, so the sources of support planned for sustained operation of the SRIF-seeded program beyond those three years must be clearly articulated.
Future years’ allocations of funding for each program will be contingent on progress towards milestones and intended outcomes.
Expression of Interest are now closed for the 2019 SRIF Round of funding.
Guidelines for the 2019 SRIF Round can be found here.
Program Business Case Form for the 2019 SRIF Round can be found here.
Program Business Case Budget Spreadsheet can be found here.