You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Living in the Halls
- How to Apply
Preparing for Your Arrival
Facilities and Services
Resident Code of Conduct
- Breaches and Misconduct
- Drug and Substance Abuse
- Inductions and Floor/Block Meetings
- Lock Outs
- Minimum Dress Requirements
- Safety and Security
- Self Catering
- Social Functions
- Work Health and Safety
- JCU Inter-Collegiate Code
- Complaints Process
- Disciplinary Procedure: Misconduct
- Disciplinary Procedure: Serious Breach
- Residential Life Team
- Information for Parents
Conferences and Functions
An internet port and WiFi is provided in every student room. To take advantage of this facility, you will need to bring your own computer. If required, cables can be purchased at your Hall office.
The James Cook University (JCU) network switches have a number of features which minimise the risk of some viruses and network attacks. Unsanctioned connections and some lesser quality equipment can tend to emulate an issue and as a protection to other devices on the network, that connection will be terminated.
To avoid network interruptions:
- Connect only one device (for example computer) to the network at any one time using the wall socket and a cable.
- Use no more than 5 different devices on the one network port (for example: Laptop, PC, Xbox, PlayStation). The connection can be safely swapped from one device to another.
- Do not use a network/wireless router.
- Ensure your computer has current anti-virus software.
A wireless network service (Eduroam) is available in the Dining Rooms at George Roberts Hall, University Hall and Western Hall, and in the common rooms at Rotary International House.
Note: all bedrooms, common areas and dining rooms have access to WiFi.
Before you connect to the internet, you should have current anti-virus software installed on your computer. If your computer does not have virus protection, you can install a free copy of Sophos Anti-Virus under the JCU site licence.
Note: use of University computing and communications facilities for:
- game playing
- retrieval and storage of copyright material without the permission of the owner of the copyright
- personal gain is prohibited
Penalties may be imposed for use of the facilities other than in accordance with JCU's Policy.