You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Living in the Halls
- How to Apply
Preparing for Your Arrival
Facilities and Services
Resident Code of Conduct
- Breaches and Misconduct
- Drug and Substance Abuse
- Inductions and Floor/Block Meetings
- Lock Outs
- Minimum Dress Requirements
- Safety and Security
- Self Catering
- Social Functions
- Work Health and Safety
- JCU Inter-Collegiate Code
- Complaints Process
- Disciplinary Procedure: Misconduct
- Disciplinary Procedure: Serious Breach
- Residential Life Team
- Information for Parents
Conferences and Functions
Breaches and Misconduct
Each of the following is prohibited and a breach of the Resident Code of Conduct giving rise to disciplinary action under the Disciplinary Procedures and in some instances a prosecutable offence.
Penalties apply - see Misconduct constituting a breach of the Resident Code of Conduct: Disciplinary Procedure
Burning of incense, candles or other flammable substance.
Cooking in rooms and other non-cooking areas.
Smoking upon any part of the JCU Halls of Residence.
Creating or permitting noise which disturbs or is likely to disturb residents.
Failure to sign in overnight guests.
Drunk and disorderly behaviour.
Possession of, or consuming alcohol, if under the age of 18 years.
Possession of an open container of alcohol, or consuming alcohol, in any public part of the JCU Halls of Residence.
Inappropriate dress/footwear in the Dining Room.
Failure or refusal to authenticate/sign in for meals.
Failure or refusal to authenticate/sign in dining room guests.
Removing or permitting the removal of food, crockery or cutlery from the Dining Room without the permission of the Conference and Catering Supervisor or Team Leader.
Failure to return communal areas to a clean and reasonable condition after use.
Failure to perform kitchen and/or rubbish removal duties as rostered by the Residential Assistant (applies to residents of Rotary International House only).
Failure to secure any doors to a room, unit or floor at George Roberts Hall, Rotary International House and University Hall.
Failure to attend mandatory induction without prior approval of absence.
Calling upon Administration Staff, Residential Assistant, Senior RA at any time during the day or night for a room lock-out.
Inappropriate use of a communal telephone including acceptance of reverse charge calls, operator connected calls, nuisance or harassing calls.
Urinating on/from a balcony or any part of the JCU Halls of Residence other than the designated amenities.
Littering upon any part of the JCU Halls of Residence.
Expellable offences, penalties apply - see Serious breaches of the Resident Code of Conduct: Disciplinary Procedure
Engaging in any activity of a criminal nature.
Using, or permitting the use of any part of the Halls of Residence for any illegal purpose.
Any theft, including souveniring of items such as signs, banners, trophies or any other public property.
Any vandalism or other wilful or reckless destruction of property.
Being in possession, in any part of the Halls of Residence, of any weapon or article falling within the definition of Category A, B, C, D, E, H, M or R Weapons or Restricted Items within the meaning of the Weapons Categories Regulations 1997.
Possession of illegal drugs or other illegal substances (including synthetic drugs or other natural or chemical compound which purports to mimic the effects of illegal substances).
Use and/or being under the influence of illegal drugs or other illegal substances (including synthetic drugs or other natural or chemical compound which purports to mimic the effects of illegal substances).
Selling and/or distribution of illegal drugs or other illegal substances (including synthetic drugs or other natural or chemical compound which purports to mimic the effects of illegal substances).
Possession of an implement which could be used for the digestion, smoking or injection of illegal drugs or other illegal substances (including synthetic drugs or other natural or chemical compound which purports to mimic the effects of illegal substances).
Consuming alcohol within the Halls of Residence in breach of a restriction on doing so imposed by the University.
Distribution of alcohol to any person under the age of 18 years.
Using or permitting use of an alcohol brewing kit on any part of the Halls of Residence.
Causing psychological harm and or emotional distress through the use of any form of social networking media, including but not limited to email, text messaging, web pages, digital and physical noticeboards.
Disrespecting other residents, a Residential Assistant, JCU staff or contractors.
Threats and/or emotional harm, including but not limited to harassment, stalking, psychological aggression.
Use of a mobile phone/camera to capture an image/s of a person/s without the person’s permission or otherwise compromising the privacy of an individual.
Physical assault and/or physical harassment.
Sexual assault and/or sexual harassment.
Violent and/or overtly aggressive behaviour.
Wilful or reckless behaviour that endangers yourself or others.
To light, maintain or use a fire in the open air or carry out any activity that causes or is likely to cause a fire in the open air.
To cause a fire and/or fire alarm activation through negligence or misuse.
Tampering with or covering up of smoke detectors.
Tampering with or inappropriate use of fire hoses, extinguishers, smoke alarms, or any other fire equipment.
Tampering with or inappropriate use of alarmed doors.
Tampering with or inappropriate use of any Halls equipment or property.
Accessing or attempting to access any JCU building or structure by non-conventional means, such as climbing or scaling walls/fences/railings or balcony hopping.
Lending any Halls of Residence key to a non-resident under any circumstances; or other misuse of a Halls key.
House, entertain, or allow an expelled and/or banned person/s to remain on any part of the Halls of Residence.
Bring or cause to remain on site any animal, bird, reptile or insect. Fish allowed in tank not exceeding 50cm x 30cm x 30cm. Any damage caused by unit will incur a charge.
Engaging in any behaviour which brings JCU and/or JCU Halls of Residence into disrepute, including but not limited to:
- Using banned college war cries or including the use of profanities and/or offensive language while representing the JCU Halls of Residence in any context; and
- Establishment and/or involvement with any unapproved group, committee or entity where there is an identifiable connection with the JCU Halls of Residence, its staff, residents or affiliates.
Breach of any interim conditions imposed by a Senior Residential Assistant or the Coordinator of Residential Life.
Non-compliance with a penalty imposed by a Residential Assistant or Senior Residential Assistant.
Violating any other JCU Halls guidelines, restrictions or other rules as determined from time to time by the University.
Any infringement of University Policies, including but not limited to:
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture