The most efficient way to integrate PebblePad as a teaching and learning tool in your subject is to create a PebblePad workspace linked to your LearnJCU subject site.
Each LearnJCU subject site can effectively have its own PebblePad workspace. By default, the name of a workspace workspace linked to a subject site will be the same as your LearnJCU subject code for easy identification.
Linking your LearnJCU site to a workspace ensures that:
- Enrolled students in your subject automatically become members of your workspace
- Students can access PebblePad directly through your LearnJCU subject site with a single sign on
- You can automatically send grades from a PebblePad assignment to the LearnJCU Grade Centre.
What you will need to do:
Ensure you are a PebblePad Workspace Creator
Create and link the workspace to your LearnJCU subject site
Configure and Synchronise your workspace.
To create a link to a PebblePad workspace in your LearnJCU subject site, you need to be assigned the Workspace Creator role in PebblePad. Once you are a listed as a Workspace Creator you can create a PebblePad workspace for any subject you are teaching. To request access as a PebblePad Workspace Creator please use the following web form
PebblePad Workspace Creator Request (Web form)
Creating a link to a PebblePad workspace is initiated by adding an ATLAS Basic LTI tool link to your LearnJCU subject site.
Log into your LearnJCU subject site and turn Edit Mode ON
Navigate to the area where you want to place the link to your workspace (a 'PebblePad' content area has been established for this purpose)
From the Tools pulldown choose Basic LTI Tool
From the tools listed in the pulldown, select ATLAS
Click the Submit button
In the Tool Information area type in a Name for your link. By default, the name appears as ‘ATLAS’ however it can be renamed to match your assignment item (e.g. Assig 1 - ePortfolio). The name you give the link will also be the name of the corresponding Grade Centre column for that assessment.
In the Services area you can set the attributes of the corresponding Grade Centre column. Options include:
- Create a grade column in advance of first use? –Yes will create the Grade Centre column immediately and No will create the Grade Centre column when you release the grades from ATLAS
- Display format: - Score or Percentage. Recommendation: Score
- Points possible: This should match the number of possible points for the submitted assignment in ATLAS
- Include this column in grade calculations? – Yes if the assignment is a summative assessment
- Show this column to students? - Yes if you want students to see your marks in My Grades in LearnJCU. No if you only want students to see their marks in ATLAS.
8. In the Options area you can choose to make the link immediately available to students or set date restrictions if required.
9. Click the Submit and Launch button to launch the Create a Workspace wizard. In most cases, you will want to select the option to Create a brand new workspace. Click Continue to begin the process of configuring and synchronizing your workspace.
Configuring your workspace allows you to specify what students can do in your workspace.
Synchronising your LearnJCU site with your PebblePad workspace ensures that all students who are enrolled in your subject automatically become members of your workspace. This avoids the need to manually manage student membership of the workspace. Synchronisation only needs to be performed once as part of the workspace creation process.
When you opt to create a brand new workspace the Create a workspace wizard will display four tabs: Basic Settings, Advanced Settings, Managers, Members (circled).
In the Basic Settings tab, choose your College from the Select a Region pulldown, choose Active mode to ensure students can submit assessment to the workspace. Click through the other tabs you wish to configure or move through them sequentially by clicking the Continue button.
What you can configure
Title – same as your subject name by default
Description – brief overview of purpose
Mode – Setup mode (Students can’t see it) | Active mode (Students can access the workspace)
Select page visible to students – About, Submissions, Resources, Community, Conversations
Select entry page
Lists the Workspace Managers – this will be anyone listed in your LearnJCU subject site as a Lecturer, Tutor or Site Administrator
Lists the Workspace Members – this will be anyone listed in your LearnJCU subject site as a Student. Click the Finish button to confirm your workspace settings and begin the synchronisation process
Click the Finish button to save your settings and start synchronsing your students as members of the workspace and teaching staff and managers of the workspace.
Note: Synchronisation can take a few minutes if you have a large class but you will see a progress indicator to let you know how the process is going.
After the workspace has synchronized you will have the option to:
- Further Manage your workspace (Recommended) – See Managing a PebblePad Workspace
- Activate the workspace (If no further configuration is require you can make the workspace immediately visible to students)
- Close PebblePad and return to manage or activate your workspace later using the ATLAS link in your LearnJCU subject site.