Getting started? Watch these videos.
Introduction to LockDown Browser for Students
Youtube video, 2m:24s
This introductory video explains the basic features of LockDown
Browser, and how it deters cheating during proctored, online tests.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser in Blackboard Learn
Youtube video, 1m:58s
Here you'll learn how to prepare a Blackboard Learn test so it requires
students to use LockDown Browser.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser and Monitor
Youtube video, 4m:40s
Respondus Monitor builds upon the LockDown Browser technology by using a webcam to record students during an exam. Suspicious behaviour
is automatically flagged, such as leaving the computer during the exam, or a different person entering the video frame.
Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within LearnJCU
- Prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications
- Locks students into a test until until they submit it for grading
- Can be used on Windows, Mac or iOS devices (iOS option not currently supported at JCU).
- Is a companion product for LockDown Browser designed for use when students take an online test in a non-invigilated setting (eg. off-campus)
- Uses the student’s webcam on their own computer to record assessment sessions within LearnJCU
- Records the student and the surrounding environment during the entire exam
- Allows lecturers to quickly review details of the assessment or watch the recorded video.
Get Lockdown Browser
- Download Respondus Lockdown Browser (Windows and Mac)
Please note: The Respondus Lockdown Browser app for iPad is not currently supported at JCU. Students have two options for taking an online test with Respondus enabled:
- On-campus students must use a computer in a Respondus-enabled computer lab designated by the College. (Respondus is not available on GATCF and Library computers)
- Off-campus students must use a desktop or laptop computer and install Respondus Lockdown Browser using the link above. Students should undertake a practice test (provided by the lecturer), ensure their webcam is working (where this is a requirement), ensure they have a reliable internet connection (preferably wired), and ensure they use the same computer for the actual test.
- Instructor Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Student Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor (Youtube video, 4m:39s)
Help Centre can be accessed from the Help Centre icon on the Lockdown Browser toolbar
Help Centre contains three areas:
- Pre-exam Webcam Check – Enables students to check their webcam functionality, prior to an exam.
- System & Network Check – Runs a series of diagnostic checks to make sure the student's computer is functioning properly and meets the minimum requirements.
- Knowledge Base – This student-centric knowledge base provides answers to the top questions or issues that relate to using LockDown Browser and a webcam (ie. Respondus Monitor).
Q. Why can't I see my completed test paper when I click my test score in My Grades (LearnJCU) for a Respondus-enabled test?
A. You will need to log onto LearnJCU with Respondus Lockdown Browser then go to My Grades and click your test score to view your test paper.