Getting started? Watch these videos.
Introduction to LockDown Browser for Students
Youtube video, 2m:24s
This introductory video explains the basic features of LockDown
Browser, and how it deters cheating during proctored, online tests.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser in Blackboard Learn
Youtube video, 1m:58s
Here you'll learn how to prepare a Blackboard Learn test so it requires
students to use LockDown Browser.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser and Monitor
Youtube video, 4m:40s
Respondus Monitor builds upon the LockDown Browser technology by using a webcam to record students during an exam. Suspicious behaviour
is automatically flagged, such as leaving the computer during the exam, or a different person entering the video frame.
Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within LearnJCU
- Prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications
- Locks students into a test until until they submit it for grading
- Can be used on Windows, Mac or iOS devices (iOS option not currently supported at JCU).
- Is a companion product for LockDown Browser designed for use when students take an online test in a non-invigilated setting (eg. off-campus)
- Uses the student’s webcam on their own computer to record assessment sessions within LearnJCU
- Records the student and the surrounding environment during the entire exam
- Allows lecturers to quickly review details of the assessment or watch the recorded video.
Get Lockdown Browser
- Download Respondus Lockdown Browser (Windows and Mac)
Please note: The Respondus Lockdown Browser app for iPad is not currently supported at JCU. Students have two options for taking an online test with Respondus enabled:
- On-campus students must use a computer in a Respondus-enabled computer lab designated by the College. (Respondus is not available on GATCF and Library computers)
- Off-campus students must use a desktop or laptop computer and install Respondus Lockdown Browser using the link above. Students should undertake a practice test (provided by the lecturer), ensure their webcam is working (where this is a requirement), ensure they have a reliable internet connection (preferably wired), and ensure they use the same computer for the actual test.
- Instructor Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Student Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor (Youtube video, 4m:39s)
Help Centre can be accessed from the Help Centre icon on the Lockdown Browser toolbar
Help Centre contains three areas:
- Pre-exam Webcam Check – Enables students to check their webcam functionality, prior to an exam.
- System & Network Check – Runs a series of diagnostic checks to make sure the student's computer is functioning properly and meets the minimum requirements.
- Knowledge Base – This student-centric knowledge base provides answers to the top questions or issues that relate to using LockDown Browser and a webcam (ie. Respondus Monitor).
Q. Why can't I see my completed test paper when I click my test score in My Grades (LearnJCU) for a Respondus-enabled test?
A. You will need to log onto LearnJCU with Respondus Lockdown Browser then go to My Grades and click your test score to view your test paper.
Getting access to subject sites
- Managing staff roles in LearnJCU (PDF, 583 KB)
- Opting in/out of subjects as a Site Editor or Viewer (PDF, 359 KB)
- Staff troubleshooting access to subject sites
Setting up and managing the subject site
- Creating and editing assignment submission dropboxes
- Using Safe Assign as a plagiarism tool in assignment dropboxes (PDF, 264 KB)
- Grade settings in assignment dropboxes explained
- Creating, editing and using rubrics with assessment items
- Importing and exporting rubrics between subjects
- Downloading assignments from the Grade Centre in bulk
- Grading assignment submissions online
- Grading assignment submissions with Safe Assign enabled
- Additional information...
Tests, Surveys and Pools
- Create tests and surveys
- What question types are available?
- Editing tests and questions
- Setting the test or survey options
- Importing and Exporting rubrics between subjects
- Grading tests
- Using Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Download the Respondus Lockdown Browser (Windows and Mac)
- Additional information…
Self and Peer Assessment
- Navigate around subject site
- Editing and managing content
- Content editor functionality
- Using mashups
- Building a glossary
- View a site as a student with 'Student Preview'
- Inserting Academic Success Modules
- Academic Success - End-of-Module Quizzes
- Additional information…