- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Staff Intranet
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Fish Passage Planning and Design
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Standards for Blended and Online Subject Design
- Tips for Teaching Online
- Induction to LearnJCU
- Online Communication
- Collaborate Subject Rooms
- Online Computations
- Capturing Media
Mediasite Recorded Lectures
- Auto-captured lectures
- Recording with mobile devices
- Recording with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
- Upload existing media
- Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
- Edit with the Mediasite Web-Editor
- My Mediasite Dashboard
- Make your recording 'Viewable'
- Edit titles, descriptions and tags
- Adjust recording permissions
- Access the Web-Editor
- Manage your storage space
- Mediasite Analytics
- Publish recording to LearnJCU
- A catalogue for your auto-captured lectures
- Mediasite myths
- Using Mediasite for Assessment
- Mediasite FAQs
- DIY Auto-Captioning
- Online Group Work
- Online Assessment
- Respondus Secure Online Exams
- PebblePad ePortfolios
- Online Learning Resources
- Activity Data
- Mobile Learning Apps
- Known Issues
- Support - Ask LearnJCU
- Subject Site Setup for Data
- Pre Semester Discovery Report
- PDF Guides
- 1. An Academic's User Guide
- 2. An introduction to Learning Analytics at JCU
- 3. How to run a Level 1 report in LearnJCU
- 4. How to access and run level 2 reports
- 5. An introduction to Learning Analytics reports and how to read the data
- 6. Overview of the Report - Subject at a Glance
- 7. Overview of the Report - Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
- 8. Overview of the Report - Activity Matrix
- 9. Overview of the Report - Subject Submission Summary
- Staff Information
- Student Information
- About LTSE
- Student Success
- Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation & Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
- Subject Outline
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Register for Workshops & Events
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Learning Data@JCU informs continuous improvement strategy in learning, teaching and the student experience.
What is Learning Data@JCU?
Learning Data@JCU uses a software program that extracts and integrates staff, student and organisational data from existing University information systems to create a series of new reports and dashboards for staff with a focus on real-time learning, teaching and student engagement within LearnJCU managed subjects.
What do I need to know about setting up my LearnJCU site?
Over 50% of the reports in Blackboard Analytics for Learn rely on Grade Centre use. To ensure that your Grade Centre is set up for Blackboard Analytics check the Grade Centre Best Practice for Blackboard Analytics for Learn Guide.
Access to reports in your LearnJCU Site
Anyone with access to the Control Panel in your LearnJCU site can view the Level 1 Subject Reports. This includes the role of Subject Coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor and LearnJCU Site Editor. TO check the roles in your LearnJCU site check the Managing Staff Roles in LearnJCU Guide.
What do I need to know about understanding the reports?
Blackboard Analytics classifies information in a particular way to enable comparisons across the university and the reporting of trends.
Content, Tools and Assessment
Blackboard Analytics classifies information in a LearnJCU site as either Content, Tools or Assessment. The Content, Tools and Assessment Guide provides more information about the specific items in each of these categories.
Student interactions within LearnJCU are used as a proxy for engagement. When viewing student activity data it is important to consider the many ways that students may engage with LearnJCU, for example, reading a document online compared to downloading the document and reading offline. It is therefore important to consider the various types of activity data too. Within Blackboard Analytics, activity is recoded as accesses, interactions, minutes and submissions. The Activity in Blackboard Analytics for Learn Guide provides explanations of each of these types of activities.
Merged subject sites
If you have different modes of a subject offered in single merged LearnJCU subject site, Blackboard Analytics selects one mode to enable comparisons.
How do I access Learning Data@JCU?
Level 1 Subject Reports
These reports focus on activity and design of a single LearnJCU subject. Staff can access the reports through Subject Analytics under Student Tracking in the Control Panel of a LearnJCU subject site. You can see what the reports show by viewing the guides for each of the reports.
Level 2 Subject and Course Reports
These reports provide further detail about LearnJCU subject activity and site design, as well as information across multiple subjects, eg. students in a course that have not logged into one or more of their LearnJCU sites in the previous seven days. Access to these reports is controlled through a delegations policy.
Level 3 Customised Reports and Dashboards
Customised reports and dashboards are built for specific roles within the University, e.g. College Student Support Officers, First Year Experience Coordinators, Course Coordinators, Associate Deans of Learning and Teaching etc.
Within Blackboard Analytics for Learn security/access restrictions to the Level 1 Subject Reports described above are in alignment with the security/access restrictions currently in place for the data in the originating systems (Blackboard Learn, Teaching Roles Database, and Student Management System). That is, the information provided in the reports in information that staff within the subjects are already able to access.
What information will students receive?
All LearnJCU sites feature an announcement to students about Blackboard Analytics for Learn and direct them to further information on the JCU website. Staff are encouraged to explain to students how they use the Blackboard Analytics for Learn reports. For example, you may explain to students that if you see that they have not logged on for a substantial period of time then you might email them to ensure that everything is OK and provide details about the support services available at JCU.
There is lots to learn about using and understanding Blackboard Analytics for Learn. Review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Who can I contact for further information and assistance?
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like further information, please contact the Learning Analytics Specialist:
Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement
Phone: (07) 4781 6239