Frequently Asked Questions
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
Online Teaching Tools
- Standards for Blended and Online Subject Design
- Tips for Teaching Online
- Induction to LearnJCU
- Subject Site Setup
- Accessibility in LearnJCU
- Online Communication
- Collaborate Subject Rooms
- Online Computations
- Capturing Media
Mediasite Recorded Lectures
- Auto-captured lectures
- Recording with mobile devices
- Recording with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
- Upload existing media
- Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
- Edit with the Mediasite Web-Editor
- My Mediasite Dashboard
- Make your recording 'Viewable'
- Edit titles, descriptions and tags
- Adjust recording permissions
- Access the Web-Editor
- Manage your storage space
- Mediasite Analytics
- Publish recording to LearnJCU
- A catalogue for your auto-captured lectures
- Mediasite myths
- Using Mediasite for Assessment
- Mediasite FAQs
- DIY Auto-Captioning
- Online Group Work
- Online Tools for Assessment
- Grade Centre Setup
- Respondus Secure Online Exams
- PebblePad ePortfolios
- Online Learning Resources
- Activity Data
- Mobile Learning Apps
- Known Issues
- Support - Ask LearnJCU
- Designing Alternative Assessment
- Assessment Methods
- Online Tools for Assessment
- Assessment Case Studies
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Subject Site Setup for Data
- Pre Semester Discovery Report
- PDF Guides
- 1. An Academic's User Guide
- 2. An introduction to Learning Analytics at JCU
- 3. How to run a Level 1 report in LearnJCU
- 4. How to access and run level 2 reports
- 5. An introduction to Learning Analytics reports and how to read the data
- 6. Overview of the Report - Subject at a Glance
- 7. Overview of the Report - Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
- 8. Overview of the Report - Activity Matrix
- 9. Overview of the Report - Subject Submission Summary
- Staff Information
- Student Information
- About LTSE
- Student Success
- Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation & Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
- Subject Outline
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Special Consideration
- Register for Workshops & Events
- MACRO New
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
How often is the Learning Data@JCU updated?
The data in Learning Data@JCU updates nightly.
The information you see in reports shows up to the previous day.
What do I need to know about setting up my LearnJCU site?
Over 50% of the reports in Blackboard Analytics rely on Grade Centre use. To ensure that your Grade Centre is set up for Blackboard Analytics check the Grade Centre Best Practice for Blackboard Analytics for Learn Guide.
Access to reports in your LearnJCU site
Anyone with access to the Control Panel in your LearnJCU site can view the Level 1 Subject Reports. This includes the roles of Subject Coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor and LearnJCU Site Editor. To check the roles in your LearnJCU site check the Managing Staff Roles in LearnJCU Guide.
What do I need to know about understanding the reports?
Blackboard Analytics classifies information in a particular way to enable comparisons across the university and the reporting of trends.
Content, Tools and Assessment
Blackboard Analytics classifies information in a LearnJCU site as either Content, Tools or Assessment. The Content, Tools and Assessment Guide provides more information about the specific items in each of these categories.
Student interactions within LearnJCU are used as a proxy for engagement. When viewing student activity data it is important to consider the many ways that students may engage with LearnJCU, for example, reading a document online compared to downloading the document and reading offline. It is therefore important to consider the various types of activity data too. Within Blackboard Analytics, activity is recoded as accesses, interactions, minutes and submissions. The Activity in Blackboard Analytics for Learn Guide provides explanations of each of these types of activities.
Merged subject sites
If you have different modes of a subject offered in single merged LearnJCU subject site, Blackboard Analytics selects one mode to enable comparisons. We are currently working the Blackboard to improve the reporting in merged subject sites to enable you to ‘see’ the information and activity for the different modes.
How do I access Learning Data@JCU?
At the moment, staff have access to Level 1 Subject Reports. The reports focus on activity and design of a single LearnJCU subject. Staff can access the reports through Subject Analytics under Student Tracking in the Control Panel of a LearnJCU subject site. See more information on the reports that are currently available.
Why are my reports not working?
Blackboard Analytics relies on Grade Centre use. To ensure that your Grade Centre is set up for Blackboard Analytics check the Grade Centre Best Practice for Blackboard Analytics for Learn Guide.
If your report does not load, let us know! Send an email with the LearnJCU Subject site code (e.g. 15-ED1401_TSV_EXT_SP1), the name/s of the report/s you were trying to load, and the time of day/night when you tried to load the report(s) to the Learning Analytics Specialist.
The Content, Tools and Assessment counts are very high, is this right?
There are a range of reasons that your counts may be higher than you expected. For example, subject sites in LearnJCU contain a number of items that are either hidden from view or available, perhaps there are some items that are hidden from view. Below are some of the reasons why counts may be high.
- Content was copied over from a previous year’s site
- Content that may not be available until a specific time
- Content that is only made available for a specified period, e.g. an online test
- Publisher’s resources can sometimes contain many smaller content items
- Assessment includes practice tests and manually created columns in the GradeCentre
- If the class has many group submission points, then these are counted individually
- A high number of announcements will increase the Tool count
- Blogs, journal and wikis all raise the Tool count due to the nature of their use
Monitoring excess or redundant Content, Assessment and Tools will assist more accurate data to be displayed in Blackboard Analytics, and enable more accurate comparisons to be made. The LearnJCU Guides provide assistance and information on how to manage your LearnJCU site.
Can the report fields be altered?
No, not at this time. The Level 1 Subject Reports provide basic, subject-level content. Future rollout of reports will provide more detailed information.
How do I download a report?
At the top of every report is a small ‘save’ icon. You can click this to nominate the format in which you want to download the report (PDF, CSV, Excel, etc). Staff are expected to treat the reports from Blackboard Analytics with confidentiality, as outlined in the JCU Code of Conduct.
What if I need more assistance with the reports?
A Help Guide is provided for each report – click the Report Help button within the report or access the Blackboard Analytics Guides on this website.
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like further information, please contact the Learning Analytics Specialist for Blackboard Analytics for Learn.