Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor provide a complementary solution for reducing the potential for cheating in online exams and verifying the identity of the students undertaking the assessment.
Respondus LockDown Browser
- is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within LearnJCU
- prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications
- locks students into a test until until they submit it for grading
- can be used on Windows, Mac or iOS devices.
- is a companion product for LockDown Browser designed for use when students take online test in a non-invigilated setting (eg. off-campus)
- uses the student’s webcam on their own computer to record assessment sessions within LearnJCU
- records the student and the surrounding environment during the entire exam
- allows lecturers to quickly review details of the assessment or watch the recorded video
Get Lockdown Browser
Please note: The Respondus Lockdown Browser app for iPad is not currently supported at JCU. Students have two options for taking an online test with Respondus enabled:
- On-campus students must use a computer in a Respondus-enabled computer lab designated by the College. (Respondus is not available on GATCF and Library computers)
- Off-campus students must use a desktop or laptop computer and install Respondus Lockdown Browser using the link above. Students should undertake a practice test (provided by the lecturer), ensure their webcam is working (where this is a requirement), ensure they have a reliable internet connection (preferably wired), and ensure they use the same computer for the actual test.
Help Centre can be accessed from the Help Centre icon on the Lockdown Browser toolbar
Help Centre contains three areas:
- Pre-exam Webcam Check – Enables students to check their webcam functionality, prior to an exam.
- System & Network Check – Runs a series of diagnostic checks to make sure the student's computer is functioning properly and meets the minimum requirements.
- Knowledge Base – This student-centric knowledge base provides answers to the top questions or issues that relate to using LockDown Browser and a webcam (ie. Respondus Monitor).
Q. Why can't I see my completed test paper when I click my test score in My Grades (LearnJCU) for a Respondus-enabled test?
A. You will need to log onto LearnJCU with Respondus Lockdown Browser then go to My Grades and click your test score to view your test paper.