The Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR), is a desktop application for both Windows and Mac which allows users to capture their desktop, PowerPoint presentations as well as audio and video.
The MDR is usable outside of the JCU network and available for download from the JCU JCU Software Centre or via the green 'Launch and Register My Desktop Recorder' button in the 'My Mediasite' tab within LearnJCU.
If you wish to record a lecture but the room does not feature the Mediasite Recording System Device, you can use Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) from the podium computer.
Follow the steps below when using MDR from a podium computer in a lecture room.
Keep in mind that the recording will be captured via the computer's inbuilt features and not all computers will have webcams or microphones. You can take in an external USB microphone to connect to the computer if you would like to capture better quality.
Record the desktop with the MDR
- Open and log into LearnJCU
- Navigate to the Tools menu on the left hand side
- Click My Mediasite which will open the Mediasite dashboard in a peek panel.
- Click the black button which reads Download the Desktop Recorder (Note: If the MDR is already download you still need to visit this page to register).
- Go to Step 3 and click on Register Mediasite Desktop Recorder. You will receive a confirmation message. Click on Open mdr.exe.
- Mediasite Desktop Recorder application (like in image above) will pop up when messages saying 'Authenticated Successfully'. You want to see your ID in the top left corner.
- Click on Record. Name the presentation and choose your recording options. The options available are (Slideshow + Audio is recommended):
- Screencast + Video: Full-motion video of desktop with slides extracted + video from a camera with audio from a microphone
- Screencast + Audio: Full-motion video of desktop with slides extracted + audio from a microphone
- Slideshow + Video: Slides from desktop + video from a camera with audio from a microphone
- Slideshow + Audio: Slides from desktop + audio from a microphone
- Follow the prompts and confirm that the microphone and the webcam (if being used) are operating. If you have issues with setting up microphones or webcams contact the JCU IT Helpdesk
- Choose a Capture area. There are three options available:
- Desktop captures the entire desktop
- Window allows the capture of a specific application window
- Region captures a specified area of the screen Click the green tick
- Click the red Record button and a five second count down will start before the recording begins
- You can pause the recording at any time by clicking the pause button in the system tray or the shortcut key is 'Ctrl + F8' this is also what you will use when you finish your recording
- When you pause you are presented with three options, Discard Recording | Resume Recording | Finish Recording
- To complete the recording click the pause button then click Finish Recording
- Once the the recording is uploaded and processed the presentation's status updates in the My Mediasite dashboard and a notification email will be sent. Mediasite automatically sets the presentation’s status to 'Private' which means only you can view it, this will need to be made 'Viewable' before you will be able to search for it and add it in your LearnJCU subject
- If the video requires editing use the web-editor
- Publish the recording
For further information about using the Mediasite Desktop Recorder refer to the Mediasite help site