JCU Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
JCU recognises outstanding practice in teaching and scholarship in many ways, and the Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning is one such example.
Citations recognise and reward the diverse contributions that individuals and teams make to the quality of student learning in a specific area of responsibility over a sustained period. The JCU citations program is designed to prepare and support staff intending to apply for an Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, offered by Universities Australia.
The winners of this award will be chosen by a panel of university teaching and learning stakeholders. Winners will be recognised as leaders of learning and teaching at JCU through a celebratory event in October, and will be invited to join the Community of Learning and Teaching Excellence.
The following quick reference instructions are to guide applicants. The Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement strongly encourages staff to discuss their nomination with their Associate Dean Learning &Teaching prior to submitting.
1 - Review the criteria and requirements
- Review the criteria and requirements for Citations in the Application Guidelines
- Download the Nomination Form.
2 - Source additional information and support
- Contact recipients of JCU Citations to discuss their application process, or review their applications.
- Contact your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for support or mentoring.
- Identify a citation mentor – this might be a previous award recipient.
- Attend a Citation information session presented by the Directorate of Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement (see Learning and Teaching Workshops and Events) or view the most recent presentation and download a copy of the presentation slides.
- 13/02/20 JCU Citation Information Session slides presented by Dr Andrea Lynch Acting Dean, Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement.
3 - Collate your evidence
Collate evidence to support your application. Use a range of data.
Some useful resources to consider include:
- "Data-led strategies for improving learning and teaching outcomes" by Associate Professor Phil Morgan, University of Newcastle.
- "Using a template to facilitate external peer review of curriculum: a variation on the PRoT theme" by Rebecca Sealey, published in 2013 by Education Research and Perspectives (40(1): pp.109-123).
- "The 4Q Model of Evaluation" by C. D. Smith (2008)
- "Top 5 ways to find out about your students and their university experience" by JCU Teaching and Learning Development.
4 - Prepare your application
- Prepare your application, ensuring compliance with criteria and all requirements.
- Please note, any applications that do not conform to the formatting outlined within the Application Guidelines will not be accepted.
- Complete the Application Checklist (see Attachment to Application Guidelines) prior to submitting your application.
5 - Lodge your application
- Lodge your application with your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for signature and review prior to the nomination closing date.
- Particular Divisional Offices may be dictate earlier dates for submission, review and signatures. Please check with your relevant Divisional Office administrator.
- Contact your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for guidance specific to your College and Division.
Closing Date: Monday 31 August 2020
All applications must be:
- Approved by the relevant Associate Dean Learning & Teaching,
- Signed by the relevant Dean and Divisional Deputy-Vice Chancellor, and
- Sent to the Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business, Monday 31 August 2020. Late applications will not be considered.
The Directorate manages the application process for the national teaching citations and awards on behalf of James Cook University. A range of resources and activities are available to support applicants. Enquiries and requests for assistance may be submitted to email@example.com.