JCU Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Standards for Blended and Online Subject Design
- Tips for Teaching Online
- Induction to LearnJCU
- Online Communication
- Collaborate Subject Rooms
- Online Computations
- Capturing Media
Mediasite Recorded Lectures
- Auto-captured lectures
- Recording with mobile devices
- Recording with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
- Upload existing media
- Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
- Edit with the Mediasite Web-Editor
- My Mediasite Dashboard
- Make your recording 'Viewable'
- Edit titles, descriptions and tags
- Adjust recording permissions
- Access the Web-Editor
- Manage your storage space
- Mediasite Analytics
- Publish recording to LearnJCU
- A catalogue for your auto-captured lectures
- Mediasite myths
- Using Mediasite for Assessment
- Mediasite FAQs
- DIY Auto-Captioning
- Online Group Work
- Online Assessment
- Respondus Secure Online Exams
- PebblePad ePortfolios
- Online Learning Resources
- Activity Data
- Mobile Learning Apps
- Known Issues
- Support - Ask LearnJCU
- Subject Site Setup for Data
- Pre Semester Discovery Report
- PDF Guides
- 1. An Academic's User Guide
- 2. An introduction to Learning Analytics at JCU
- 3. How to run a Level 1 report in LearnJCU
- 4. How to access and run level 2 reports
- 5. An introduction to Learning Analytics reports and how to read the data
- 6. Overview of the Report - Subject at a Glance
- 7. Overview of the Report - Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
- 8. Overview of the Report - Activity Matrix
- 9. Overview of the Report - Subject Submission Summary
- Staff Information
- Student Information
- About LTSE
- Student Success
- Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation & Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
- Subject Outline
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Register for Workshops & Events
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU recognises outstanding practice in teaching and scholarship in many ways, and the Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning is one such example.
Citations recognise and reward the diverse contributions that individuals and teams make to the quality of student learning in a specific area of responsibility over a sustained period. The JCU citations program is designed to prepare and support staff intending to apply for an Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, offered by Universities Australia.
The winners of this award will be chosen by a panel of university teaching and learning stakeholders. Winners will be recognised as leaders of learning and teaching at JCU through a celebratory event in October, and will be invited to join the Community of Learning and Teaching Excellence.
Examples of previous, successful nominations for Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning can be viewed here
The following quick reference instructions are to guide applicants. The Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement strongly encourages staff to discuss their nomination with their Associate Dean Learning &Teaching prior to submitting.
1 - Review the criteria and requirements
- Review the criteria and requirements for Citations in the Application Guidelines
- Download the Nomination Form.
2 - Source additional information and support
- Contact recipients of JCU Citations to discuss their application process, or review their applications.
- Contact your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for support or mentoring.
- Identify a citation mentor – this might be a previous award recipient.
- Attend a Citation information session presented by the Directorate of Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement (see Learning and Teaching Workshops and Events) or view the most recent presentation and download a copy of the presentation slides.
- 13/02/20 JCU Citation Information Session slides presented by Dr Andrea Lynch Acting Dean, Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement.
3 - Collate your evidence
Collate evidence to support your application. Use a range of data.
Some useful resources to consider include:
- "Data-led strategies for improving learning and teaching outcomes" by Associate Professor Phil Morgan, University of Newcastle.
- "Using a template to facilitate external peer review of curriculum: a variation on the PRoT theme" by Rebecca Sealey, published in 2013 by Education Research and Perspectives (40(1): pp.109-123).
- "The 4Q Model of Evaluation" by C. D. Smith (2008)
- "Top 5 ways to find out about your students and their university experience" by JCU Teaching and Learning Development.
4 - Prepare your application
- Prepare your application, ensuring compliance with criteria and all requirements.
- Please note, any applications that do not conform to the formatting outlined within the Application Guidelines will not be accepted.
- Complete the Application Checklist (see Attachment to Application Guidelines) prior to submitting your application.
5 - Lodge your application
- Lodge your application with your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for signature and review prior to the nomination closing date.
- Particular Divisional Offices may be dictate earlier dates for submission, review and signatures. Please check with your relevant Divisional Office administrator.
- Contact your Associate Dean Learning & Teaching for guidance specific to your College and Division.
Closing Date: Monday 31 August 2020
All applications must be:
- Approved by the relevant Associate Dean Learning & Teaching,
- Signed by the relevant Dean and Divisional Deputy-Vice Chancellor, and
- Sent to the Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business, Monday 31 August 2020. Late applications will not be considered.
The Directorate manages the application process for the national teaching citations and awards on behalf of James Cook University. A range of resources and activities are available to support applicants. Enquiries and requests for assistance may be submitted to email@example.com.