You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation and Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
Subject Outline Guide and Template
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Subject Outline Guide and Template
Academic genres (oral) assessment types
A debate is a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
A guided discussion may require students to facilitate engagement of their peers in an interactive process of sharing their understanding, perspectives and experiences, related to achieving an instructional objective.
An oral critique is a spoken analysis given by an evaluator/adjudicator.
Participation – tutorial/in-class
Tutorial/class participation may involve students responding verbally to questions, contributing to the discussion or working individually or as part of a group on activities.
Presentation – in-class
An in-class presentation is the delivery of a formal address to an audience of peers.
A tutorial submission may involve students submitting written responses to questions or assigned activities.
Viva voce/oral defense
A viva voce is typically a defense of a thesis or some other project conducted by an oral examination.
In healthcare sciences, a viva voce may require students to respond to a specified case scenario.