- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Fish Passage Planning and Design
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Standards for Blended and Online Subject Design
- Tips for Teaching Online
- Induction to LearnJCU
- Online Communication
- Collaborate Subject Rooms
- Online Computations
- Capturing Media
Mediasite Recorded Lectures
- Auto-captured lectures
- Recording with mobile devices
- Recording with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
- Upload existing media
- Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
- Edit with the Mediasite Web-Editor
- My Mediasite Dashboard
- Make your recording 'Viewable'
- Edit titles, descriptions and tags
- Adjust recording permissions
- Access the Web-Editor
- Manage your storage space
- Mediasite Analytics
- Publish recording to LearnJCU
- A catalogue for your auto-captured lectures
- Mediasite myths
- Using Mediasite for Assessment
- Mediasite FAQs
- DIY Auto-Captioning
- Online Group Work
- Online Assessment
- Respondus Secure Online Exams
- PebblePad ePortfolios
- Online Learning Resources
- Activity Data
- Mobile Learning Apps
- Known Issues
- Support - Ask LearnJCU
- Subject Site Setup for Data
- Pre Semester Discovery Report
- PDF Guides
- 1. An Academic's User Guide
- 2. An introduction to Learning Analytics at JCU
- 3. How to run a Level 1 report in LearnJCU
- 4. How to access and run level 2 reports
- 5. An introduction to Learning Analytics reports and how to read the data
- 6. Overview of the Report - Subject at a Glance
- 7. Overview of the Report - Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
- 8. Overview of the Report - Activity Matrix
- 9. Overview of the Report - Subject Submission Summary
- Staff Information
- Student Information
- About LTSE
- Student Success
- Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation & Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
- Subject Outline
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Register for Workshops & Events
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
|NOTICE: In response to COVID-19 lectures in physical locations have been halted and auto-captured lectures will not occur|
Save time and have your lectures automatically captured via timetabling bookings.
Advise your college's Academic Services Officer (ASO) that you would like your lectures auto-captured.
This should be done during preparation for upcoming study periods (data-collection stage) but can be adjusted at any time by ASO's.
Please note: the Learning Environments and VAVS teams are unable to adjust this data.
The ASO will need to apply 'Suitability' to the activityThe ASO should then apply auto-capture 'Suitability' to your teaching activity in timetabling.
As there are a limited number of Mediasite equipped rooms, 'Suitability' signifies that there is a desire to capture the lecture but does not ensure that a Mediasite equipped room will be allocated.
If a Mediasite equipped room is allocated, your session will be automatically recorded and delivered to the academic listed against the activity in the timetable.
Auto-captured lectures will be added to a Mediasite shared-folder for that subject, however, they will still need to be made ‘viewable’ by the person they were delivered to.
Please note: if more than one person is listed, the system will pick someone from the list to be the owner. If no one is listed it will be delivered to the subject coordinator.
Things to know when auto-capturing your lectures
- Audio quality is difficult to maintain in a large space with lots of people but it can be improved by the use of lapel and roving microphones
- Auto-captured lectures start recording five minutes before the lecture begins and finishes recording five minutes after the lecture ends (as listed in the timetable)
- If you can see the recording in the subjects shared-folder (in Mediasite) but you do not have access to make it ‘Viewable’ or edit, contact the ‘Owner’ and ask them to do it or have them [Link] share editor access with you
- Auto-captured lectures are captured as dual streams which contain slides from the computer and video from the presenter's camera as well as in-room audio. In order to capture slides they must be displayed on the main projector.
Detailed workflow from Timetabling to Mediasite
→ First, a lecture activity is booked in with timetabling
Suitability is applied in the timetable and a Mediasite enabled room is allocated.
→ Next, a schedule is created in Mediasite
The data is refreshed daily to reflect any changes to the timetable.
→ The lecturer listed against the timetabling activity is the 'owner' of the auto-captured lecture
If more than one lecturer is listed against the timetabling activity the system chooses one at random to be the ‘owner’.
If no one is listed the system will choose the Subject Coordinator as the owner.
The 'owner' is responsible for the lecture recording.
Other lecturers associated with the subject in TRDB are assigned as ‘viewer’.
→ Next, the lecture is captured automatically by in-room devices
Auto-captured lectures are organised into a shared folder that all other associated lecturers can see but cannot edit or make ‘Viewable’.
Shared folders are accessed via My Mediasite Dashboard.
→ Auto-captured lectures are also added to 'Mediasite Catalogue’
Presentations outside of auto-capture can be added to a 'Subject Catalog' by assigning the 'Module' in My Mediasite to the presentation/video.
Students will have access to the recorded lectures from the subject's Mediasite Catalogue, if:
▸ the auto-captured lecture has been made ‘Viewable’
▸ and the ‘Mediasite Catalogue’ has been made available in the LearnJCU subject site
Note: if you have two subjects using the same auto-captured lecture recordings the Mediasite Catalogue will struggle with applying recordings to both catalogues. It is recommended to publish directly to the subject site in this case and this will need to be done by the 'owner' of the recording.
Note: In this case, ‘owner’ refers to a Mediasite system role and does not reflect the intellectual property. It is the ‘owners’ responsibility to make their auto-captured lectures ‘Viewable’.
Want to give another member editor access? Check out our guide on sharing editor access.
IMPORTANT - How to ensure your lecture is being recorded
Light on means your lecture is being recorded
If you do not see the light come on you may have to opt for an ad-hoc captured lecture.
Control button | start - pause - stop
Control light on
Control light off
- Control button:
- Long-press = start
- Short-press = pause
- Short press = un-pause
- Long-press = stop
- Recording light:
- Illuminated = recording
- Slow-pulse = paused
- No illumination = off