- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
Online Teaching Tools
- Standards for Blended and Online Subject Design
- Tips for Teaching Online
- Induction to LearnJCU
- Subject Site Setup
- Accessibility in LearnJCU
- Online Communication
- Collaborate Subject Rooms
- Online Computations
- Capturing Media
Mediasite Recorded Lectures
- Auto-captured lectures
- Recording with mobile devices
- Recording with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR)
- Upload existing media
- Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
- Edit with the Mediasite Web-Editor
- My Mediasite Dashboard
- Make your recording 'Viewable'
- Edit titles, descriptions and tags
- Adjust recording permissions
- Access the Web-Editor
- Manage your storage space
- Mediasite Analytics
- Publish recording to LearnJCU
- A catalogue for your auto-captured lectures
- Mediasite myths
- Using Mediasite for Assessment
- Mediasite FAQs
- DIY Auto-Captioning
- Online Group Work
- Online Tools for Assessment
- Grade Centre Setup
- Respondus Secure Online Exams
- PebblePad ePortfolios
- Online Learning Resources
- Activity Data
- Mobile Learning Apps
- Known Issues
- Support - Ask LearnJCU
- Designing Alternative Assessment
- Assessment Methods
- Online Tools for Assessment
- Assessment Case Studies
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Subject Site Setup for Data
- Pre Semester Discovery Report
- PDF Guides
- 1. An Academic's User Guide
- 2. An introduction to Learning Analytics at JCU
- 3. How to run a Level 1 report in LearnJCU
- 4. How to access and run level 2 reports
- 5. An introduction to Learning Analytics reports and how to read the data
- 6. Overview of the Report - Subject at a Glance
- 7. Overview of the Report - Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
- 8. Overview of the Report - Activity Matrix
- 9. Overview of the Report - Subject Submission Summary
- Staff Information
- Student Information
- About LTSE
- Student Success
- Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation & Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
- Subject Outline
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Special Consideration
- Register for Workshops & Events
- MACRO New
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions
From our recent webinar and online open hours we have collated the most frequently asked questions relating to using Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR).
Can I install the MDR software to my mobile device?
No. If you access your Mediasite dashboard on your mobile device and press the Add Media button you will only be presented with the option to upload a file from your device.
How do I 'Register to Sign In' to MDR?
You can only register the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) software by accessing your Mediasite dashboard. To do this:
- Access your Mediasite dashboard.
- Click the Add Media button.
- Select the Click Here link after the “Already downloaded the Mediasite Desktop Recorder, but not registered?” sentence.
- If the software is already running, it will register automatically. Otherwise follow the pop-up window prompt to open MDR.exe to launch the software to complete the registration process.
What is the benefit of using Slideshow + Audio as the recording type?
The slideshow + audio recording is recommended as it reduces the file size required to generate and upload the recording. This helps to reduce the turnaround time in processing the recordings in My Mediasite and makes it easier for students to watch the recording via their subject, especially if they are using a slower internet connection.
What do I do if students advise that they cannot watch the recordings?
- Ask the student if it opens or if they get an authorisation error message.
- If they are getting an error message:
- First, check that the recording has been made 'Viewable'.
- Then, check that the recording’s viewing permissions are not set to "Only Me".
- Lastly, check that the recording has been published to your subject correctly.
If the recording was copied across from another subject, you may need to publish the recording again to ensure your students in the current subject can view it.
Are Mediasite recordings part of my LearnJCU subject quota?
No. Publishing Mediasite recordings to your subject via the Content Market will not impact on your subject’s quota.
This publishing process is our recommended practice for inserting video content into your subject, as it prevents the subject from exceeding its quota while providing simple, secure access to the recording for subject members.
How do I upload an existing video to Mediasite?
From your Mediasite dashboard, select Add Media and then Browse Files... choose the option I want to upload a file from my computer. Locate your required content in the directory and select Open.
NOTE: You should keep the browser window open until you receive a Success message indicating a successful media upload.
How do I edit a recording?
You can use the Mediasite Web-Editor to make basic edits.
Saving edited recordings can take significant time for the changes to take effect and is not an encouraged practice, as per the Academic Requirements Information Pack 2020 (PDF, 2290 KB).
If editing a recording is necessary, please ensure that you only save the recording once you have made all necessary changes.
What support services do we have for Mediasite?
Any Mediasite-related queries or problems can be reported by lodging a ServiceNow ticket (JCU login required). Our team will help to resolve any issues that arise. If you have a question you can attend our online open office hours running daily.
When trying to install the MDR my login details are rejected?
If you are installing MDR on a JCU Windows computer you will also need to run the Make Me Admin program before commencing installation to have the necessary permissions. This is not required for Mac computers.
- Run the Make Me Admin program (JCU login required)
I have macOS Catalina and cannot run the current version of MDR?
Due to core changes in macOS Catalina the current version of Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) will not run in this operating system.
You can install and run a later release of this software offering, Mediasite Mosaic. Download instructions for installing and operating the software.
Should students conduct oral presentations in Mediasite or Collaborate?
Students cannot use the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) to create presentations, however, they could record via another method and upload their presentation as an unlisted YouTube link.
If the presentation needs an audience and the student is required to answer questions after they present, then Collaborate should be used.
When creating the Collaborate Session change the Default Attendee Role to Presenter (under Session Settings).
As a Presenter, students can present without having full Moderator privileges. Presenters can upload, share, edit, and stop sharing content. They can also see hand raise notifications and can lower hands.
Is it best for students to do oral presentations in Mediasite or Collaborate?
Student cannot use the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) software to create presentations.
If the assessment needs to be presented to an audience and the student is required to answer questions after their presentation, then Collaborate should be used. To allow students to present in Collaborate, their access will need to be changed from Participant to Presenter. Learn about the different roles in Collaborate and how to change an attendee’s access.
I’ve deleted my Mediasite recording by accident. Can it be recovered?
If you have removed your recording in the Mediasite Desktop Recorder (MDR) software, the recording content stored on your computer will be deleted but the recording will remain in your Mediasite dashboard online (so long as it was previously uploaded).
If you delete a Mediasite dashboard recording that was created using the MDR, you can re-upload the recording from your MDR software. You can do this by:
- Accessing your Mediasite dashboard
- Selecting the Add Media option
- Select I want to upload an existing desktop recording
- Give the recording a name and press Create and Launch
- When the MDR software opens, locate the recording you wish to restore and press its corresponding Upload button
- You will need to wait some time for the recording to be uploaded and restored. Please do not shut your computer/browser down during the upload process.
If the recording was not created in MDR, or if you deleted the recording in MDR as well as your Mediasite dashboard, please create a ServiceNow ticket so that we can attempt to locate and recover your recording.
Can we subtitle videos for English as a second language students or those with accessibility requirements?
Yes you can, watch this video demonstrating how to add captions to Mediasite recordings (3.16 mins).