You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation and Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
Subject Outline Guide and Template
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Subject Outline Guide and Template
Induction for New Academic Staff
Foundations of Learning and Teaching @JCU
Foundations of Learning and Teaching @JCU is a two-day program for all newly appointed full-time academic staff with teaching responsibilities, which is to be completed as part of employment probation.
The program focuses on essential information about the JCU learning and teaching context; the higher education regulatory environment and internal policy; student and library support services; assessment, moderation and feedback; technology-enabled learning strategies, including use of the learning management system; and evaluation of learning and teaching.
The workshops are delivered by multiple presenters in face-to-face mode on the Cairns and Townsville campuses. Staff from other locations please contact Learning,Teaching and Student Engagement to discuss your requirements.
2019 Workshop Dates
|WHEN||Monday 8 and Tuesday 9 July, 9.00 am - 4.00 pm|
|WHERE||Social Sciences, room 6 (004-006)|
|WHEN||Thursday 11 and Friday 12 July, 9.00 am - 4.00 pm|
|WHERE||The Cairns Institute, room 59 (D3.059)|
For those new to teaching and interested in developing their understanding, please consider enrolling in the MOOC, Contemporary Approaches to University Teaching.
If you have Subject Coordinator responsibilities, please consider registering for the Subject Coordinator: Essentials online modules. Visit the workshop registration page, and select Subject Coordinator: Essentials Online from the drop-down menu.
Registrations are now open through My HR Online. Please follow the procedure outlined below, and select the Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement option for your campus.
|Staff training now available in My HR Online - Quick reference to view/register for training course via My HR Online|
|Log-in to My HR Online → My HR → Training →Training Requests → Add new record → Select Course Category by location → Select course name to see future scheduled courses → Select details to view course detail → Select Nominate to register|
For catering purposes please register to attend this event. Registration is also required to ensure you have record of attendance on your employee file.
The Foundations of Learning and Teaching @JCU workshops aim to provide newly appointed full-time teaching staff with:
- A welcoming introduction to teaching at JCU
- An understanding of the JCU student population and the implications for teaching
- An understanding of teaching roles at JCU
- An awareness of teaching and learning policies at JCU
- Engagement with learning technologies and LearnJCU to enhance student learning
- An introduction to the professional knowledge base for university teaching and learning
- Appropriate engagement with the beginning principles of teaching (including planning, pedagogy and assessment) for their teaching contexts
- Strategies to gather and use information about their own teaching
- The creation of informal networks of support and professional exchange within and across disciplines
- An awareness of promotion pathways through demonstrated teaching excellence
- An awareness of the teaching and learning support available to JCU students and staff
Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop or other mobile device to these sessions. Materials for all sessions will be provided electronically, or by hard copy on request.
Following the workshop, participants will be invited to attend a Networking Breakfast. Invitations will be forwarded to participants after the workshop.
The Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement presents lectures, workshops and symposiums throughout the year. For session details, please download the Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement Professional Development Calendar 2019.
Please contact Learning,Teaching and Student Engagement by email for further information about James Cook University's teaching induction.