We refer to ePortfolios as an electronically stored collection of experiences, achievements, and artefacts, together with the reflections of one's learning.
An ePortfolio may assist learners with their personal development by providing them with a single, organised repository.
Benefits of ePortfolios
ePortfolios can assist learners
- Develop a holistic overview of their learning/experiences/development beyond individual subjects/classes
- Understand their learning and experience in terms of graduate attributes and employability skills
- Extract evidence to represent their learning and achievements, for example, to develop selection criteria responses
- Identify skill gaps through review and reflection on their ePortfolio content, and
- Plan and set personal development targets.
ePortfolios can assist educators
- Gain deeper more rounded insight into a students understanding, and
- Enable the provision of rich individualised academic advice.
PebblePad is an ePortfolio tool available to all staff and students via LearnJCU.
It provides a personal learning space for students to organise, share and present records of learning and experience in the form of an ePortfolio, as well as, a continuous record of development as learners and professionals.
Educators can create resources, such as:
- structured forms (templates)
- workbooks (collections of templates)
Students can then create:
- ePortfolios as part of the assessment for that subject (e.g. clinical placement, work integration learning, course learning outcomes and graduate attributes).
Key Elements in PebblePad
Pebble+ is the Personal Learning Space that provides students with space to record and make sense of learning experiences, both academic and personal. Records of learning become assets which can be combined in personalised presentations such as an e-portfolio to reflect growth, knowledge and capability over time.
ATLAS is the part of PebblePad used for organising and supporting assessment and feedback. It can be used by teachers to organise students into groups, provide resources for completing assessment tasks, set up Assignments where students can submit their work and provide informal and formal feedback on submitted assets.
- An asset is anything you create in Pebble+ or upload to Pebble+
- Assets are typically records of student learning, achievements or aspirations
- Assets can be tagged with keywords to make them searchable and discoverable
- They can be structured (e.g. plans, experiences, reflections, talents) or freeform (e.g. posts)
- Can be collected and presented for a particular purpose (eg. employment e-portfolio)
- Can be private, shared with others, or shared with the world (published to the web).
- Are fillable web pages (templates) or collections of fillable web pages (workbooks) built to support a particular learning task
- Templates and workbooks are typically created by teachers and made available to students to complete over time as a record of learning development and achievement (eg. clinical placement log).
- A space created when a LearnJCU subject site is linked to PebblePad
- Used for managing students’ PebblePad activity in a subject
- Used for making resources available to students to support a particular activity
- Used for viewing submitted assessment, giving feedback and grading.
- Accessible only to its managers and members.