Create Vodcasts and Podcasts
Vodcast (downloadable MP4) or podcast (MP3)
Streaming video files is best practice, however, in circumstances where playback is causing an issue for students you may provide a downloadable file
- In My Mediasite Dashboard, find the video you would like to make downloadable and click on the linked title to open the presentation’s properties page
- In the right-side menu, click on the menu point Edit
- In the pop-out window ‘Edit Presentation’, under the video preview click the tab Delivery
- Create a MP4 downloadable file:
- Tick the checkbox selection Vodcast, then click in the field where it says ‘Select a Vodcast Project’ and choose a vodcast project, there should only be one in the list
- Create a MP3 downloadable file:
- Tick the checkbox selection Podcast then click in the field where it says ‘Select a Podcast Profile’ and choose your desired quality output
- MP3's must be downloaded to your local computer and then re-uploaded to LearnJCU via the menu Build Content and then selecting Audio
- Click the blue button Save at the top-right and the system will begin to create the video file (expect some time for this to complete)
- Move on to Sharing an MP4 link to see where you can find it and how to share via the Mediasite player or LearnJCU subject.
Things to know about creating downloadable file
Streaming video files is the best practice, however, in circumstances where playback is causing an issue for students you may provide a downloadable file.
A few things to consider before doing this:
- Try delivering the videos in smaller chunks as these can perform better on slower connections
- More of your storage space will be used when creating Vodcast and Podcasts. As it will include the default versions; smooth-streaming and progressive MP4 (required for playback on iOS devices), as well as, the Vodcasts or Podcasts files
- Students will be asked to re-authenticate in order to download Vodcasts or Podcasts as no authentication pass through is possible with direct links
- MP3's must be downloaded and then re-uploaded to LearnJCU via the Build Content Menu and then selecting Audio
- Once downloaded, videos can be easily distributed outside of JCU.