You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Courses and Study
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation and Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
Subject Outline Guide and Template
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Subject Outline Guide and Template
Overview of the Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
Helping to reduce potential cheating in online exams and verifying the identity of the students undertaking the assessment
Watch these videos
Introduction to LockDown Browser for Students
Youtube video, 2m:24s
This introductory video explains the basic features of LockDown Browser, and how it deters cheating during proctored, online tests.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser in Blackboard Learn
Youtube video, 1m:58s
Here you'll learn how to prepare a Blackboard Learn test so it requires students to use LockDown Browser.
Preparing a Test for use with LockDown Browser and Monitor
Youtube video, 4m:40s
Respondus Monitor builds upon the LockDown Browser technology by using a webcam to record students during an exam. Suspicious behaviour is automatically flagged, such as leaving the computer during the exam, or a different person entering the video frame.
Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within LearnJCU
- Prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications
- Locks students into a test until until they submit it for grading
- Can be used on Windows, Mac or iOS devices (iOS option not currently supported at JCU).
- Is a companion product for LockDown Browser designed for use when students take an online test in a non-invigilated setting (eg. off-campus)
- Uses the student’s webcam on their own computer to record assessment sessions within LearnJCU
- Records the student and the surrounding environment during the entire exam
- Allows lecturers to quickly review details of the assessment or watch the recorded video.
Download Respondus Lockdown Browser (Windows and Mac)
Please note: The Respondus Lockdown Browser app for iPad is not currently supported at JCU. Students have two options for taking an online test with Respondus enabled:
- On-campus students must use a computer in a Respondus-enabled computer lab designated by the College (lecturers will need to inform students of a suitable lab to use).
- Off-campus students must use a desktop or laptop computer and install Respondus Lockdown Browser using the link above. Students should undertake a practice test (provided by the lecturer), ensure their webcam is working (where this is a requirement), ensure they have a reliable internet connection (preferably wired), and ensure they use the same computer for the actual test.
- More on how students take secure assessments with Respondus
- Blackboard Help - What is Respondus?
- Preparing an Exam for Use with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor (Youtube video, 4m:39s)
Help Centre can be accessed from the Help Centre icon on the Lockdown Browser toolbar
Help Centre contains three areas:
- Pre-exam Webcam Check – Enables students to check their webcam functionality, prior to an exam.
- System & Network Check – Runs a series of diagnostic checks to make sure the student's computer is functioning properly and meets the minimum requirements.
- Knowledge Base – This student-centric knowledge base provides answers to the top questions or issues that relate to using LockDown Browser and a webcam (ie. Respondus Monitor).
Rooms with Respondus installed
- 002 (101,102,103,104,107)
Q. Why can't I see my completed test paper when I click my test score in My Grades (LearnJCU) for a Respondus-enabled test?
A. You will need to log into LearnJCU with Respondus Lockdown Browser then go to My Grades and click your test score to view your test paper.