You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Transitions & Retention
- Evaluation and Feedback
- Professional Development & Recognition
Policies & Frameworks
Subject Outline Guide and Template
- Diploma of Health (Nursing Pathway)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
- Postgraduate Biomedical Sciences
- Postgraduate Medicine and Dentistry
- Postgraduate Midwifery
- Postgraduate Nursing Science
- Postgraduate Psychology
- Postgraduate Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Postgraduate Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate of Aeromedical Retrieval
- Postgraduate Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice
- Subject Outline Guide and Template
JCU is recognised throughout Australia for its sustained activities in the widening participation agenda, with recent national awards for the Community-based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Teacher Education Program and the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery. With a strong commitment to being socially responsive and, in particular, meeting the needs of people of rural, remote and tropical contexts, the diversity of the region informs JCU's programs and policies, which challenge socially constructed educational disadvantage.
Through a range of initiatives including those funded by the Higher Education Participation and Partnerships (HEPP) Program, JCU aims to ensure Australians from low socio-economic status backgrounds who have the ability to undertake higher education have the opportunity to do so.
Core Equity Initiatives
JCU offers a number of services and school programs on and off campus to assist with students' career development and encourage participation in tertiary study.
The JCU Access Fund could be the answer if money problems stand between you and a higher education at JCU.
Pathways / Diploma of Higher Education
The Diploma of Higher Education is a one-year course (or two years, part-time) designed to help people who may not meet the academic requirements for entry into a Bachelor degree course. The course is also designed to help students develop the necessary skills to be successful university students. The course consists of a combination of introductory and first year degree subjects. For further options, visit the JCU Pathways webpage.
Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement
JCU is proud to have one of the highest Indigenous participation rates of any university in Australia. Visit the Indigenous Education and Research Centre website for further information.
Student equity and wellbeing, including student support
The Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement has a broad mandate to ensure that social justice and principles of equity are embedded and actualised across the JCU community. At the same time, we ensure an engaging and inclusive experience for JCU students. See the Student Equity and Wellbeing webpage for further information.
Students with disabilities
JCU is committed to ensuring people with disabilities are able to participate to the fullest possible extent in the educational programs it offers, as well as aspects of university life. For further information about the services and facilities on offer, visit the AccessAbility Services webpage.
Careers and employability
JCU's Careers and Employability office offers a wide range of career services and resources for students, recent graduates, employers and staff. Students also have access to the JCU Career Development Program, a suite of online career modules designed to assist with career development and transition to professional employment.
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS)
Peer Assisted Study Sessions, known as PASS, offer students a guarantee hour of study while on campus with peers in the same subject and/or course. Research shows students who attend PASS five or more times in a semester significantly increase their chances of passing.
The Learning Centre
JCU's Learning Centre offers JCU students a number of services and resources, including a drop-in subject and course advisory service, access to learning advisors, free access to pre-semester workshops and study skills workshops during the semester, and online reading, writing and maths resources.
Inclusive curriculum design
The scholarship of learning and teaching clearly indicates that improving curriculum design and anticipating and responding to student diversity is at the core of our inclusive curriculum practices. Blended learning enables staff to anticipate, respond and adapt to student need.
See also: Principles for Inclusive Teaching – a guide to inclusive teaching for a diversity of learners by RMIT.
Evaluation and data support
JCU's approach to evaluation of learning and teaching is discussed at Teaching Evaluation.
The Directorate of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement works closely with academic staff to extract and analyse staff, student and organisational data from Blackboard LearnJCU and other systems. Real-time data informs learning, teaching and student engagement strategy and can be used proactively to identify students in need of support. See Learning Analytics for further information.
For further information about JCU's equity initiatives, please contact LTSE@jcu.edu.au.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture